turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT home and business vs premier

In 2014, I got "Home and Business"

In 2016, I got "Premier" 

Did they discontinue Home and Business?  What is the difference between Home and Business VS Premier?  I looked it up and it said Premier basically has investment properties.  But I was able to do schedule E with Home and Business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

No, Home and Business was not discontinued. You can still purchase it for download by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/. This will also show you some of the differences in the two programs. The biggest difference between the 2 programs is the ease of use for self-employed personal & business income and expenses. Otherwise, the 2 desktop programs have the same capabilities.

TurboTax Premier does have Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss, including rental property. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ChristyW

No, Home and Business was not discontinued. You can still purchase it for download by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/. This will also show you some of the differences in the two programs. The biggest difference between the 2 programs is the ease of use for self-employed personal & business income and expenses. Otherwise, the 2 desktop programs have the same capabilities.

TurboTax Premier does have Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss, including rental property. 

FYI - in 2014 they made the Desktop programs be like the Online versions so you had to use a higher version to enter certain things and forms.  That didn’t work out so they put back all the forms into all the Desktop programs.  So you can even use a lower version like Deluxe to enter sch E and C and investments.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  Home & Business is the highest version.  You can see them all here.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>

I need to file a 1099-MISC for a handyman who worked on my rental property.  Can I file that online using the Premier CD version, or do I have to use Home and Business?

To prepare a W2 or 1099Misc you need to use the Online Self Employed version or the Desktop Home & Business program.  So yes you would need Home & Business.  But I don't think you need to give out a 1099Misc for rental property.  Only if you pay someone from a business you own. 

Here is a blank 1099Misc 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc_19.pdf 

Instructions  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_19.pdf 

I had a note to myself that I should get Home and Business because it allows you to enter information using “Forms” mode. I accidentally got Premier 2020. Will it allow me to use the Forms mode?

Bill

@w-burnham All of the desktop software versions have "Forms" mode.   Online software does NOT have Forms mode.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@w-burnham wrote:

I had a note to myself that I should get Home and Business because it allows you to enter information using “Forms” mode. I accidentally got Premier 2020. Will it allow me to use the Forms mode?

Bill

All of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition have the Forms mode.  All of the desktop editions include the same forms, schedules and worksheets.  The higher editions give more help and guidance.

Will Premier calculate my possible SEP contribution for my small business (business is simple -- just royalties from a book)?

Is the PREMIER program edition and the "Home & Business" one a different Front end?  Or does it still say PREMIER when you bring it up?  Looks the same to me!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Premier and TurboTax Home & Business are two separate products.  You can compare features and learn more about each product by visiting the following link:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

@RickP58

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well it will say either Premier or Home & Business at the very top.  And Premier  menu line says...

Personal Info....Federal Tax....State....Review.....File

Home & Business menu bar says

Personal Info...Business....Personal....State Taxes...Review....File

H&B breaks out the Federal tab into Business & Personal.  

Here's mine form Windows Home & Business

CA MCTR.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies