Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The w2 I have entered in continues to say needs review, I have reviewed it 4 times now and it is exactly the same as whats on my w2

I have tried everything mentioned above and nothing will fix this chat cant help no one seems to know whats going on. would like to get my taxes done sooner than later!!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The w2 I have entered in continues to say needs review, I have reviewed it 4 times now and it is exactly the same as whats on my w2

@Steve102292 Please clarify what the review error is that you are receiving.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It keeps saying W-2 needs review. My other W-2’s went through fine. This is the same issue many other TurboTax clients have had in the past two years. I deleted said W-2 and keyed in every single detail to no avail. I may just have to go someplace and file them there unfortunately.

Exactly what @Gman13 said is my problem 

Yes, you can get excess Social Security tax refunded.

When you file an income tax return, the excess social security tax withheld will be treated as income taxes paid.

The excess will be either added to your federal refund or used to reduce the taxes you owe.

Click on the link for more information

I had the same problem.  I back tracked and found that the EIN on the W2 provided by my employer was different than the EIN downloaded automatically by TT. My employer is a subsidiary of a much larger corporation.   I trashed  the downloaded TT  W2 version,  input the EIN from my original W2 plus all the numbers and - hello - bingo - no more "Please Reviews" and I already have my refund.  Makes no sense but it worked. Good luck. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@jlarse08

Thank you for sharing this valuable information in regards to your experience.  

Robin1807

I have tried clearing everything, including entering my information manually. I still get that it needs review. I've tried this 5 times and still nothing. I've even left off the control number thinking it might help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I finally figured mine out apparently the employer failed to put their employer state ID so had to get that. Problem is if your w2 is missing something how would anyone know. Live chat sure didn't catch it. 

Robin1807

When I put in the EIN, it brought me up a different department. I'm not sure if that is the issue or not. I also have the retirement box checked, but I don't have an amount or code in box 12. I also don't have a local wage listed, so maybe that's the problem. Who knows!

@Robin1807 i also have retirement box but I have numbers in box 12 sounds like you may need to get ahold of your employer 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Which version of TurboTax are you using? 

If you are using TurboTax Online, please try logging completely out of the TurboTax website, then clear your browser's cachedelete cookies and reboot your computer. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly. If that doesn't work, try a different browser.

If you have already tried that and are still having issues, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Robin1807

It keeps saying my W2 needs review and it will not pull into the state

What do I do?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Many times this error is caused by a missing/incorrect state ID number in box 15.  If your state is UT be sure the "wth" at the end is all lower cased.  If the state ID is missing on your form (other than UT) then you can use the federal ID number without any dashes.  

You can also verify if there is an amount in box 17 (state income tax) there should also be an amount in box 16 (state wages).  You can use the federal wages from box 1 if needed.  

Finally, if there is no amount in box 17 indicating nothing was withheld then delete (trashcan) the state line completely.  Your resident state will use the amount from box 1 to determine any state tax owed.

I had the same error code repeatedly. Fixed it in box 14 by selecting a category (other not classified). Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies