turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find turbotax serial number? Does Turbotax ask it before file tax return? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErickaY

Where can I find turbotax serial number? Does Turbotax ask it before file tax return? Thank you.

No serial number is needed to process TurboTax. Thanks for asking!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I'm not familiar with a TurboTax serial number.  But TurboTax doesn't ask for that.   What is making you think you need such?

What product are you using--Online TurboTax (web version) or installed software (CD/download)?

Hello. I use CD. This is the first time I use Turbotax. For another software they will ask serial number. So I think Turbotax should have something similar to control license. Thank you.
ErickaY

No serial number is needed to process TurboTax. Thanks for asking!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No.  A user does not have to enter any product serial number in order to file a return.   I don't know if TurboTax tracks it by another method, but there is nothing to enter in that regard at the user level.

TurboTax does keep track of the number of efiles.  With the desktop product, one can prepare multiple Federal returns, but there is a limit of 5 Federal efiles (IRS rule.)

tf104493 :
Why do you think that?   I'm not finding other forum threads on it, and have not seen other users asking about it.   If there is any number that a state requires, it is likely sent  by the program in the background in the software code.  I don't know of any serial number for a user to enter.  Where would most people even get such a serial number, since most users don't use a CD?

Some filers use Online TurboTax and others use CD/download software.   So there's no way for online users or download users to have any serial number for self-entry.

This appears to be your first post in the forum, at least under that username.  I'll ask a Moderator to review this situation tomorrow.

A Moderator has confirmed today that no serial numbers are required, and that the comment above from user tf104493 is not correct in regard to TurboTax products.

If it were a common situation, we would have more users asking questions about it.   I've asked a Moderator to look at your comment.

There are a couple of reasons why you might need a serial number:

When using TurboTax Desktop (CD), in the event that you need to upgrade the product (like, if you accidentally purchased the wrong version, i.e. you purchased Basic, but need Deluxe) or if you are going to e-file your state return, you’ll see a "Let's Complete Your Purchase Online" screen. See picture below:

Let's Complete Your Purchase OnlineLet's Complete Your Purchase Online

When you click continue, if for any reason, you’re unable to complete the purchase on your own, and click on the “We can help you here.” link…

We can help you hereWe can help you here

… the next screen – “Purchase By Phone” will have the number to call along with a serial number to provide the support person. See picture below:

Purchase by PhonePurchase by Phone

The other reason you might need to locate a serial number is if you purchased a CD and then realized your computer/laptop doesn’t have a CD drive. In this case what you’ll need to do is call customer support and provide the 6 digit CD ASM number (sometimes also referred to as the serial number) from the front of your CD to verify your purchase. No other codes from the box will work. You can view the full instructions here:

I bought the CD but my computer doesn't have a CD drive.

Yes, technically there is a 6 digit ASMD number on the inner ring of the CD, which is difficult to see.   However, the customer is never in need for it.   All of the examples you are giving is where the agent needs a software- processed serial number in order to provide a system-processed confirmation number in order to add the e-file option.    Those serial numbers change every time you click on "we can help you here."

It is the ACTIVATION NUMBER which is in regular need by the customer.

I just loaded TurboTax into my computer (bought it several months ago) and it asked for my serial number.  I didn't keep the packing slip.

Actually, it is asking for my Activation number, not my serial number.

If you lost the Code Contact Customer Service 5am-9pm Pacific M-F

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Where is the License Code?  Main FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

@reedycpa 

You posted to an OLD thread and asked nothing ... also if you are a CPA you cannot be using the Turbotax program for business.   So start a new thread of your own and ask a complete question if you still need help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies