Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My husband died last year. My return keeps getting rejected with a AGI erro. The amount listed is correct. Are paper returns required the year after a spouse died?

I too am having this issue with a deceased spouse. After reading the posts from last year for Tax Year 2019 and this year for Tax Year 2020 from multiple contributors there appears to be a bug with TT. After following all the suggested fixes/corrections in order to refile (review last year’s 2019 tax forms AGI, verify AGI match, request IRS transcript to verify AGI, enter $0 AGI, or enter self -select pin instead of AGI).

I did know about this apparent issue with TT until after e-filing Federal and State with both submissions Federal and State being rejected and reading the posts. I have, at a minimum of at least 5 times, refiled with the different scenarios fixes as suggested in the message threads with no luck. Very frustrating especially after attempting to correct the identified errors multiple times besides paying $20.00 which was wasted for state e-filing that did not occur as not being to use e-file option as I am resorting to filing by mail.

With many posts with the same issue seems like TT should have a warning message as part of the CD software program before selecting e-file.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My husband died last year. My return keeps getting rejected with a AGI erro. The amount listed is correct. Are paper returns required the year after a spouse died?

We take your concern very seriously and wish to help address this.  Unfortunately, in this public forum, we do not have direct access to your account, so we invite you to please contact our TurboTax customer support. team to assist your further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not sure why TurboTax would need direct access to our accounts in order to fix such a widely reported bug in the software. It should be easy enough to re-create the problem using a dummy account. One would think it also should be easy enough to allow for the taxpayer to use the PIN from last year rather than forcing either the use of the AGI which it fails to accept or mailing in the tax forms.

There was a bug in 2019, there are no reports that bug has returned in 2020. Separately, the IRS may block the Social Security number of a deceased person in order to prevent tax return fraud.

You may certainly attempt to file with another tax provider, and if you are successful, that would suggest that there is a bug again. But the people in this forum have not been informed of one.

@eerickso1464 wrote:

One would think it also should be easy enough to allow for the taxpayer to use the PIN from last year rather than forcing either the use of the AGI which it fails to accept or mailing in the tax forms.

TurboTax does not reject returns - the IRS does, and the IRS no longer used pins as verification  - only 2019 AGI now.   The current  PIN is only your electronic signature (the same a pen and ink on  a paper return), not your last year identification.

(As an aside - years ago the IRS has such a high rejection with incorrect AGI's, both on the taxpayers side and in the IRS database, that they started using self-selected PINS that you would register for on a IRS website.     Hackers and ID thieves figured out ways to bypass the IRS security, so two years ago, because of fraud,  the IRS discontinued the PIN - so now we are back to the very unreliable and error prone AGI method with all it's problems.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It is the same bug from the prior years that has never been resolved. 

From the IRS website: “When self-preparing your taxes and filing electronically, you must sign and validate your electronic tax return by entering your prior-year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or your prior-year Self-Select PIN.”

And a number of people have reported using another free tax service to successfully e-file using the same information they have put into TurboTax. So something is getting lost in the translation from TT. 

Correct, TT does not reject returns; the IRS does. But apparently the information that TT transmits to the IRS causes the IRS to reject certain returns. Why else would my TT filing be rejected, while the same return filed with FreeTaxIUSA is quickly accepted?

>>>We take your concern very seriously and wish to help address this.  Unfortunately, in this public forum, we do not have direct access to your account, so we invite you to please contact our TurboTax customer support. team to assist your further.

This says to me that TT is still refusing to admit that the problem is on THEIR end!

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI.  Please follow the instructions in this link: What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?.  If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting?

shamrockma94
Returning Member

@dianalarose I am in the same boat as you.   I lost my husband in June and turbo tax is giving us a harder time.  I do not want to and cannot fathom sending these in old fashioned paper style.  We are already struggling without our spouses and they expect us to wait who knows how long sending it in ancient way.  So my question, were you able to relay all your info to free usa tax?  did you have to start over?  and lastly, I was already charged from turbo tax so I am not sure what to do.  Thank you for your very appreciated help!!

shamrockma94
Returning Member

@TerukoL none of your instructions work.  For as big as Turbo Tax is you need to get the guys on this to fix this glitch.  It is a crime that you take people's money and this glitch has been on going since last year.  

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@shamrockma94

We are sorry for your loss. Please see this response from our Champ @Opus17. It is likely the Social Security Administration has locked your deceased spouse's social security number and is causing the rejection. You will need to print your return, sign it, and mail it in. Don’t forget to also print and mail your state return.

AGI Rejection

rdh
Level 3

This problem affected me last year when trying to file my 2019 taxes.  I tried numerous suggestions to fix the problem with no luck.  I actually spoke to an IRS agent.  They said I should be able to file electronically.  There were no errors with my return.  I spoke with a social security agent.  They said they DO NOT hold up tax returns.  After numerous rejections, I ended up paper filing my return.  I debated about purchasing a different tax software to try to efile, but elected not to spend that money and time to redo my return.  I does take a while for the IRS to process paper, but at least it got done.

Bottom line, I do think there is some software issue somewhere in the process that causes the rejection.  I probably should have gone ahead and tried other tax software programs (TaxCut, etc...) to troubleshoot, but that costs money and time.  

TT seems intent to place the blame elsewhere when it is obviously a problem with the TurboTax software. I finally gave up and filed a paper return. I do not plan on using TurboTax next year, after their apparent disinterest in resolving this problem for so many people. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies