Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My husband died last year. My return keeps getting rejected with a AGI erro. The amount listed is correct. Are paper returns required the year after a spouse died?

My sincere condolences for the loss of your husband.

You should be able to file jointly.  Try putting your name first on the return.

What if a spouse died during the tax year? Remember, taxpayers whose spouses died during the tax year are considered married for the entire year, provided they did not remarry. The surviving spouse is eligible to file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

Taxpayers who do not remarry in the year their spouse dies can file jointly with the deceased spouse. For the two years following the year of death, the surviving spouse may be able to use the Qualifying Widow(er) filing status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My husband died last year. My return keeps getting rejected with a AGI erro. The amount listed is correct. Are paper returns required the year after a spouse died?

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. This situation leads to an AGI error in TurboTax, which has been the case for many years. I suggest you read the earlier entries in this thread. It is full of details and possible solutions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies