Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse incorrectly flagged as 'can be claimed as a dependent'

I am unable to e-file because I am getting this error:     

Form 8889-S: Line 3A3.  Self should not be checked.  You indicated on the Federal Information Wks that spouse could be claimed as a dependent of another, which makes spouse ineligible..    

However, under personal info->your filing status, I have checked the box that says 'No one else can claim <spouse> as their dependent for 2017.   

Is this a bug?   Or why does the fed worksheet thing that she can be claimed?  Is there a different question that sets that info?  If so, where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to see if you can get rid of this error message:

• Open your Tax Return
  • Click "Forms" in the Upper Right Hand Corner
  • From the forms list on the left, click on your spouse's Personal Wks
  • Look at Part II and make sure the "NO" box is checked for the first question, "Can Someone Claim You As a Dependent" (See Screenshot Below)

If this doesn't get rid of the error message, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

That did not work.  The box was not checked, as you predicted, but checking the box made no difference.     The problem is also quite easy to reproduce.     Create a new tax form, married filing separately.   and mark spouse can not be marked as a dependent.  

Enter no w2s'.
Now in forms. open a 8889-S form. Mark "self only' in sections 1 and all the lines in box 3.

Now do 'final review'. You'll see the same error I got - that turbotax thinks you have indicated the spouse can be a dependent.   If you open the form you indicated, the 'can someone claim you...' box is blank (bug 1?).   If you check it, however, it makes no difference.  you get the same error.

If you like, i can e-mail the save file for my "test case" that I created above.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, please request to send me a diagnostic copy.  To send a Diagnostic Copy, you will need to click "Online" from the top left of your screen and then "Send Tax File to Agent".  Then comment below with the token #.

The token number is:  454915   Going to federal ->federal review will show the errors.

Hi, were you able to reproduce the problem?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Try Deleting Form 8889 and then click the "Health Insurance" Tab to walk through the insurance coverage interview again.  To delete Form 8889, click "Forms" in the upper right and then choose Form 8889 from the forms list on the left side.  Click "delete" directly beneath and to the left of the form.
sklyons3

I'm having this same issue. What this ever resolved?

I did get it to work, although I don't remember exactly how.
I'm pretty sure the GUI/walkthrough wasn't settings things on the Form correctly.
I had to open up the form directly, manually check/uncheck the things that were wrong.
Once I manually changed it, I could save, and then do the e-file.   (don't go through the gui again, or it'll change it back to the wrong stuff).

I was hoping that would be fixed this year, but I guess not?

I have the same problem. My token is 595324. Please help!

Thanks.

I am having the same issue. Please help me.

I also had this issue where I filed single but the turbo tax software checked the “Spouse can claim me as a dependent” box. I didn’t see the issue and filed my 2019 tax return on March 29th. I never got my stimulus payment. I kept checking the IRS website and it kept saying they did not have enough information to determine my eligibility.

I finally got through to an IRS agent yesterday and they told me I was not eligible for the $1200 stimulus payment because my spouse can claim me as a dependent. I said that was impossible because I am filing single but sure enough when I looked at the tax return the box was checked. The IRS agent said I would have to wait till I file my 2020 taxes and claim the $1200 as a tax credit. A lot of good that does me now while I’m on furlough from my job in the travel industry. This was all a result of a Turbo Tax error. 

I got on with live support and the agent verified the issue and took note that it was a turbo tax error and gave me a case number so I can request a refund for the $60 I paid for turbo tax but I had to file an amended tax return by mail which takes up to 16 weeks for the IRS to update. If the government passes any more stimulus payments I won’t be eligible for those either until my tax return is updated. This is so upsetting that a system glitch by turbo tax caused me to not get my stimulus payment  and all I can do is ask for my $60 to be refunded. 

Aimeed

This is happening to me too. I did not get a stimulus check because “Spouse can be claimed  as dependent” box was checked on my 2018 taxes, and then was reviewing before filing my 2019 taxes today, and there it was again and I am filing single. I have to rectify last year's, and can't find a way to change it for 2019 before filing it.
And you can't get any help unless you pay, even though this is clearly a glitch.  

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

To indicate that your spouse cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else, please click My Info in the left menu bar in TurboTax Online. Click on your spouse's information, and you will see the checkbox where you can change this option. 

@Aimeed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Aimeed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies