Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Social Security Input error. Product will not accept input.

Yes, you are correct.  It's not possible to import SSA-1099 forms at this time. You should get your SSA-1099 in the mail no later than mid-February, as they get mailed out in January.  It's important to enter your social security income so that TurboTax can calculate that with your other income items on your return. Some or none of it may be taxable.

If you never received yours, you can get a replacement online, by phone, or at your local Social Security office. 

Detailed instructions are available at the official Social Security website.

I have not seen this experience but the following steps are important and can help. First clear your cache and cookies. It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Once this is completed then try to manually enter your SSA-1099 again.  All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax
  2. In the search bar, search for the term Social Security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results
  3. On the screen Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 20XX? answer Yes and select Continue
  4. On the next screen, check the box beside Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099), then enter the amounts from your form(s) in the boxes provided

Note:  Do not enter any SSA-1099 for your dependents if they receive one.

@snowbird1953 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LADESMIDT

Thanks SO MUCH for all the attempts to assist me!!! Yes. I ended up on the phone with TT tech support for over an hour, and the very kind young man was able to assist me with clearing my cache and cookies and cleaning up browser(s) history, etc. it was my computer and NOT the software that was the issue all along (feeling pretty silly about it, in fact). The young man stayed on the line until I was successful in getting things up and running appropriately. 

I cleared all my cookies and cache. I opened my Turbotax and still could not enter my Social Security benefit through the step process. I could only enter it on the form manually. Is there anything else I should check or do so I can actually answer all the questions while doing my taxes? Some of the steps do allow me to answer and other steps come up blank.

LADESMIDT

Did you restart your computer after clearing cookies & Cache? Also, make sure to select the “personal info “ tab in your Turbo Tax document so it isn’t trying to open the program on the problem page. After restarting, open your return and select the SSA entry from the “I’ll select what to work on” choice in the income module. 

hope that helps! I know I was unable to get it to work after clearing everything, but once I restarted the computer (and all the updates installed on the computer at restart) only then did the program work properly. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

One last thing I wanted to be sure you did answer when trying to enter your SSA-1099.  You must select the check box on the screen 'Tell us about the benefits you received'.  There is a selection for SSA-1099 and RRB-1099 and you must select this to move forward with your entry.

• See the image below.

If you do the manual entry, just make sure the social security and medicare amounts are entered on the worksheet.  TurboTax will do the rest. Review your forms once it's complete.  Form 1040, Line 6a and 6b and see the basic formula and information below.  

Social security is taxable only if you meet the criteria.  if you made enough overall taxable income including half of the social security some may need to be included in your taxable income.

• Example: The basic formula (other details could apply):
    • Half of SSA benefits plus all of your other taxable income minus a base amount of $25,000 ($32,000 for married taxpayers). If there is an amount after this formula then some of the social security benefits are taxable.  If you arrive at a negative result, then none of the social security benefits are taxable.  Enter your form in TurboTax and the calculation is automatic.
    • IRS Publication 915

@snowbird1953 

[Edited: 03/01/2023 | 1:16p PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is the only solution that worked for me too! Thanks for your help!

dadavis1

Freakin software won't let me input Social Security earnings

dadavis1

didn't work

@dadavis1 wrote:

Freakin software won't let me input Social Security earnings

Did you READ all the answers and solutions on this thread?

not a good answer - I followed all the steps properly and still get the raindrop at the point of entry

I, too cannot type any numbers into any of the SSA-1099 boxes.  THIS IS A BUG IN THE PROGRAM.

@MeowGoodness wrote:

I, too cannot type any numbers into any of the SSA-1099 boxes.  THIS IS A BUG IN THE PROGRAM.

Which TurboTax program are you using?

The TurboTax online web-based editions?

The TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer?  If so, which operating system, Windows or Mac?

I am using TurboTax Premium on my Windows 10 system.

@MeowGoodness wrote:

I am using TurboTax Premium on my Windows 10 system.

OK...Try this -

Save your tax return and then close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box Run the program as an administrator

Click on Apply and OK

Start the TurboTax program, continue the tax return and see if the problem persists

The same bug was there last year as well.  You need to go to the specific form where the information needed and enter it on the form itself, not from the interview format.  I hope they fix this glitch before next year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies