turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kslaught26
Returning Member

Return rejected because employer EIN

I received an email stating this but have yet to receive any updates on the software I purchased to filing as well as which employer. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you find out which employer or learn what is wrong with your filing. The software says I have no red flags or issues...

TIA.

The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records

Next step

We'll help you get this updated on your federal return and e-file .

To update your return

Once you've opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what needs updating will be displayed.

From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e-file your return. If it isn't possible to e-file your updated return, we'll make sure you have everything you need to print and file your tax return by mail.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Have you logged back into TurboTax and been able to fix the issue?  

Please see the link below for additional instructions to fix your rejected return.

How to fix a rejected return

Make sure you have a copy of your W-2 forms in front of you so you can cross check the input against the entries in TurboTax.  

Please comment if you are still having issues.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kslaught26
Returning Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I logged in yesterday evening and just now and there is still no update. I purchased the Home and Biz software from Costco. I logged in online and the only thing on that is 2018 tax returns. Both TurboTax online and the purchased software are not providing which employer and/or flagging that there is an actual issue. 

Ask your employer if your W2 is right.  Is it a new employer?  If they recently got their EIN it might not be in the IRS database yet.  

kslaught26
Returning Member

I am still unable to see which employer and TT has not provided any additional information via the purchased software that was used (Home and Biz). Is there a support number to call? Why is the software not updating and providing the problem? All that I still have is an email notification.

My next question is this: If this is not fixed before 7/15 will I have to file an extension, which I have never done had to do before.

Thanks for the help

kslaught26
Returning Member

I have copies of my W2s but TT is not providing any additional information on which employer there is an issue with like the email notification I received that said it would along with the steps that the email notification said would be provided once I logged in again. I have also crossed referenced and all EIN's are actually correct. There was a company purchase in January of 2019 of one employer by a large corporation but I'm unsure why the EIN on my W2 would be the issue, which even still that might not be the employer EIN issue.

As of now, I have not received any updates on my software account nor steps to solve the issue like the email notification said I would.

My 1099 R have no EIN number anywhere on the forms

@silverdennis wrote:

My 1099 R have no EIN number anywhere on the forms

The Payer's TIN is on the 1099-R

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies