Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again.

If your 2019 tax return has not been processed, that will affect receiving stimulus payments.   We are not sure how missing payments for the 3rd stimulus will be handled.  I would imagine that if you can get your 2020 tax return filed, you may be able to get the 3rd stimulus without having to wait until 2022.    @lb77

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tgilltribe
Returning Member

You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again.

IRS does not have my completed t2020 return i filed with turbo tax even it said accepted, Is there a glitch?

@tgilltribe wrote:

IRS does not have my completed t2020 return i filed with turbo tax even it said accepted, Is there a glitch?

How do you know the IRS doesn't have it?   The IRS "Where's My Refund" tool is often quirky, especially this year.  It frequently doesn't find someone's information.   I'll tell you some things to check first, a couple of ways to check on your refund, then how you can speak to the IRS if it's been longer than 21 days.

Double-check that your efiled returns were indeed accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, log in and go to the Tax Home and check the efile status.

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

If it's been longer than 21 days since an efiled return was accepted, here's how to reach a live IRS agent to inquire about it, although they are extremely busy due to staff shortages and all the stimulus questions on top of tax-filing questions:

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

Just want to point out that most people that have come to this point in this process know everything you just posted.  Also, I followed that phone maze to talk to a representative at the IRS and waited an entire hour just to be connected to "the operator".  She then transferred me to another line where I waited another 30 minutes and got zero answers.  

If anyone is wondering, you can talk to a rep by calling the appointment line to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office.  The person that sets the appointment is an actual IRS representative! They also have the call back feature so you don't have to sit on hold. 

any updates on your refund?

As of Today WMR is giving me a deposit date for the 24th.  I did write in to my congress Representative and last week they forwarded my case to the Taxpayer Advocate under a hardship.  I wasn't contacted by the Taxpayer Advocates and when I tried to call them weeks ago all I got was a "voice mail full" message when I tried to leave a message.  According to the person I spoke to with my congress rep. the Taxpayer Advocate is so overwhelmed that the only way to get to them is through your Representative in congress.  So if you're still waiting, google "Who's my Representative" and email them. 

I completely agree! I was accepted the 12th as well and my transcripts say no return on file. The as of date says Feb. 22. My taxes haven't been touched since then. I'm so upset. Now wmr and irs2go says wrong info. I'm hoping that's a good sign

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@Knsmiley

Good luck on the 24th.

There are cases when the Taxpayer Advocate Service is helpful.  Sounds like they have all they can handle, as well.

This website for the Taxpayer Advocate Services states:

All in-person TAS offices are closed. However, TAS remains committed to assisting taxpayers and championing their taxpayer rights. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shelbi23
Returning Member

I think the whole of the irs system just can’t handle anything at the moment. Just hear me out. My husband and I filed separately, a week apart in February; he filed the 2nd, I filed the 11th. For the last week, his information through the irs system said that he entered his information wrong, which is not true. He got his refund yesterday, and not once did it show a refund date for him. I know it’s frustrating not knowing where anything is at, but just be patient. If it’s not showing anything for you, chances are that everything is just fine, I think the system is so inundated with inquiries that it’s flagging everything as missing or wrong. Just hang in there.

Shelbi23,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your reply makes me hopeful and I really appreciate your response. I'm glad your husband got his refund.

shelbi23
Returning Member

You’re welcome. I figured I would share my experience because we were in the same boat. I know it’s stressful but just hang in there, I’m sure everything will work itself out.

yeah, I think you're right. 

The IRS website is now acknowledging that many users are getting an "you may not have entered your information correctly" error, so this gave me some peace of mind. I'm a 2/12 filer who has no updates.

Just a reminder to everyone - the IRS has an annual budget of 11 BILLION dollars but can't make a properly functioning app to track refunds, such a f***ing joke.

Just to add to this thread- I am a 2/12 filer as well (accepted by the IRS the same day) and I am getting the "You may not have entered your information correctly..." message using both my social as well as my wife's. 

Based on a previous posters advice, I changed my expected refund to $1 I got a "your return is being processed- expected refund zero" message. 

FWIW I claimed the 2nd stimulus because I hadn't received it by the time I filed.  I have since received the check but not cashed it yet.  I don't really "need" my refund.  It's pretty small.   But it enrages me that our government is so f'd up it can't do this right.  It's literally their only job. 

Titina89

Hi I’m having the same issue and wanted to know if you received yours yet

Nope- not yet- the frustrating thing for me is our "can't provide any info" message seems to be in the minority.  Most people at least have some sort of processing message.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies