Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records. (WHERE DO I CHANGE THIS?!)

@ Chipper66 wrote:

I opened an IRS account and verified AGI from 2019 and it still rejected. I've never had this issue before this year and have used Turbo for over 12 years and religiously keep a pin.   Mailing the return in for a refund is not acceptable!  Why would I keep using a product that doesn't work?

Efile acceptance/rejection is an IRS function.   It's possible for the 2019 AGI shown in an IRS transcript not to work.   Because of IRS processing delays for a huge number of 2019 returns last year, many people are having to enter a 2019 AGI of 0 in order to efile their 2020 returns.    This is also true for folks who filed their 2019 returns after mid-November 2020.

If you haven't already tried using 2019 AGI of 0, then that may allow you to efile.    I always tell folks to try efiling with a 2019 AGI of 0 before giving up.  It can't hurt anything, and there's everything to gain.

You wrote:  "I religiously keep a PIN."

If you do have the 5-digit Self-Select PIN from last year, you may be able to efile with it instead of the 2019 AGI.  But you must enter it in the PIN field and leave the AGI field blank.   But I'd try the AGI of 0 method first.

The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records. (WHERE DO I CHANGE THIS?!)

I have the same problem, except with the spouse.  I was issued a new ip pin (6 digits), and I am furious that I run TurboTax is giving me the run around!  The instructions to enter this new pin is TERRIBLE and there is no help!  Here I am up against a deadline and I want to efile now, not by mail.  I paid for the program, paid the extra state filing fee, and I demand better service than this!!  My dead end, after confirming I had the correct ip pin, after getting the transcript to confirm my 2019 AGI, the "fix it now button" doesn't get me to the place where "other tax information" is where supposedly I can enter this 6 digit number and be done!  I question is WHY DOESN'T TURBOTAX HAVE A FIX FOR THIS COMMON PROBLEM!!!

@smiller558 

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

can't find my pin number

@lloydpreas49gmailcom wrote:

can't find my pin number

What kind of PIN number?   Are you referring to a 5-digit Self-Select PIN that you used to efile your 2020 return last year, and want to use it to verify your 2021 return for efiling?   Or are you asking about a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN provided by the IRS this year?   If you need 6-digit IP PIN information, respond back.

If you are referring to a 5-digit PIN to efile, it's not mandatory to have last year's Self-Select PIN.   Many people verify their efiling with the 2020 AGI in the AGI field instead.     There is a way, however, to get last year's 5-digit Self-Select PIN if you have a PDF of your 2020 return that includes all the worksheets.    On a worksheet titled "Federal Information Worksheet" you may be able to find your 5-digit Self-Select PIN in the bottom section.

Also, there's another screen where you "sign" the return by entering a Self-Select PIN.  It's on a screen that has today's date and your birth date.  On that screen, you can either use the same Self-Select PIN as last year, or you can select a new Self-Select PIN.  (It will say on the screen you can use "any 5 digits of your choosing.")    What you enter there can be used again next year.

I noticed your forum display name appears to be an email address.   Since this is a public Internet forum, you could receive emails from spammers/scammers.  If you want to change your forum display name, here's how:

Click on your user icon in the top right corner of this page, and in the dropdown choose "My Settings."

Under the Personal tab, then subtab Username, you can choose to change the forum username.

I need help with cause I’m have problems get my taxes through 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If the 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) you entered for yourself (or for your spouse if you filed jointly) doesn't match what the IRS has in their database, you can correct it. You will find the correct AGI on line 11 of your 2020 tax return.  Be sure to use the exact AGI listed on your form. Don't split or round the number.

Please see the information here to correct your AGI or Pin on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've filed electronically for years and tonight I attempted to file my 2021 return. I entered my prior year AGI (which I've confirmed is correct) but opted to create a new self-select PIN because I couldn't remember what I used in the prior year, and my electronic return was rejected.  Is there any way to find out what my prior year self-select PIN was?

@ Pasha87 wrote:

I've filed electronically for years and tonight I attempted to file my 2021 return. I entered my prior year AGI (which I've confirmed is correct) but opted to create a new self-select PIN because I couldn't remember what I used in the prior year, and my electronic return was rejected.  Is there any way to find out what my prior year self-select PIN was?

At the end of this answer I can tell you how you "might" be able to find it.   But there are also some other possible solutions.

Did your 2020 return have delayed processing last year like so many did?   If your return wasn't finished processing by November 2021, then you can try using a 2020 AGI of 0 (zero) in the AGI field.

There are 2 places where one might enter a 5-digit Self-Select PIN.  One is when verifying the efiling by using either the AGI (in the AGI field) or last year's 2020 PIN (in the PIN field.)

The second place is a screen where you "Sign" the return, where it asks you to enter a Self-Select PIN.  It is on a screen with today's date and your birth date.   On that screen, the PIN you enter can either be the same one you used last year (if you find it), or it can be any 5 digits of your choosing.   If you choose to enter a new PIN on that screen, that is the Self-Select PIN you can use again next year.

If delayed processing of your 2020 return and the AGI of 0 "trick" doesn't explain your situation, then instead of using 2020 AGI, if you want to try to verify your efiling with the Self-Select PIN you chose last year, there is a way to get it--IF you have a 2020 return PDF with all the worksheets, or if you have the 2020 desktop software.

In the 2020 return PDF look for a worksheet called "Federal Information Worksheet", and on the last page of that form, way down near the bottom it may show your 5-digit PIN from last year.

Select a five - digit PIN.

You are selecting a PIN for next year.

To e-File with a PIN, use the PIN you selected last year. It helps to write it down in a good place where it can be found 12 months later.

MY TAX PROCESSING WAS NOT COMPLETED BY TURBO TAX

@WILMACURINGTON wrote:

MY TAX PROCESSING WAS NOT COMPLETED BY TURBO TAX

Go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

To the best of my knowledge, my 2020 return was accepted and I received my refund.  I did try entering "0" for prior year AGI and it was rejected, also.  The first reject, with correct AGI,I said that spouses AGI was incorrect.  The second rejection, with "0" AGI, said that my AGI was incorrect.  As we have always filed jointly, it makes no sense since we have only 1 AGI for our joint return.

In the past, I have always purchased TurboTax and, as you suggest, I was able to find the PINs I used in 2019 (thank you for that suggestion!).  However, in 2020 I opted to use the free TurboTax online, and when I pulled up that return on the TurboTax website, the PIN entry locations on the worksheets were blank, so it appears TurboTax did not record the PINs I entered.  I again attempted to file my 2021 returns with a different free tax app, using the 2019 PINs (assuming I had used them in 2020), but it was again rejected due to incorrect AGI for myself or my spouse, though we file jointly.  I'm considering purchasing the TurboTax app again but fear that I will get the same results and it will be money wasted if I cannot file electronically.

If anyone has found a workaround to this problem, I'd love to hear it!

@ Pasha87 wrote:

The first reject, with correct AGI,I said that spouses AGI was incorrect.  The second rejection, with "0" AGI, said that my AGI was incorrect.  As we have always filed jointly, it makes no sense since we have only 1 AGI for our joint return.

If you filed a joint return in 2020, then you and your spouse both have the same AGI.  To verify your 2021 return you both would use the same total 2020 AGI shown on that return.  Do not divide or otherwise allocate it.   On your first rejection, where it said your spouse's AGI was incorrect, if you are the first taxpayer on the return, that would imply that your AGI was correct, but that the spouse's AGI was not.   Did you correctly use the same total AGI for both of you, or did you enter something different for the spouse?

Use the 2020 AGI from the original 2020 return, not an amended one (if applicable).   The 2020 AGI is on Line 11 of the 2020 Form 1040.

However, as I said previously, if your 2020 joint return was not fully processed by the IRS by November 2021, you could try a 2020 AGI of 0 for BOTH you and your spouse.   Maybe you already tried that.

@mesquitebean

I believe the solution has been found, or at least it worked for me today on a different tax app and will probably work on TurboTax, too, and the problem was not the five digit PIN.  

As we all know, when filing jointly, the app does not ask for our Prior Year AGI individually.  In a joint return, we have one Prior Year AGI and that's the way it's entered.   Apparently, the problem is a glitch in the app for joint filers, probably in the IRS system, that recognizes the Prior Year AGI as belonging to the tax payers but not the spouse.  Here is the solution that worked in FreeTaxUSA and will probably work in TurboTax:

1. Go to the page that asks for your Prior Year AGI.
2. When asked if you filed a 2020 tax return, answer yes.
3. Even if you filed jointly in the past, click on the option that "Only the taxpayer filed a return". 
4. On the Prior Year AGI or PIN page answer YES, that you have access to the primary taxpayers AGI.
5. On the Prior Year AGI page, enter the correct amount of your joint return's Prior Year AGI as if it's for the primary taxpayer only.  This will make the app assume that the spouse's Prior Year AGI is 0.
6. Continue and ignore any alerts and fill out the rest of the pages until you can press the Send Tax Return button. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies