turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shuvro911

Can I paper file through turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJ

You can file your return electronically or by mail. If you select File by Mailyou'd send off your return after printing off what you've prepared with TurboTax.

If you E-file, you'd simply transmit your return using a secure, encrypted connection and skip the paper (few exceptions apply).

To change your filing method:
  1. Go to File (upper right)
  2. (Complete Steps 1 and 2) Start Step 3
  3. Select File by mail to open the Change filing methods window. Choose from E-file, File by mail, or I'm not ready to file for federal and all of your states.

E-file
    : Continue to Transmit (my) Returns Now. When you see Transmission Successful, you're done! 
    File By Mail: Print off your finalized return - mail it to the address provided on your Filing Instructions 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChrisJ

You can file your return electronically or by mail. If you select File by Mailyou'd send off your return after printing off what you've prepared with TurboTax.

If you E-file, you'd simply transmit your return using a secure, encrypted connection and skip the paper (few exceptions apply).

To change your filing method:
  1. Go to File (upper right)
  2. (Complete Steps 1 and 2) Start Step 3
  3. Select File by mail to open the Change filing methods window. Choose from E-file, File by mail, or I'm not ready to file for federal and all of your states.

E-file
    : Continue to Transmit (my) Returns Now. When you see Transmission Successful, you're done! 
    File By Mail: Print off your finalized return - mail it to the address provided on your Filing Instructions 
newyorker

I said I wasn't ready to file my New York State taxes yet so it went to mail, and now iI want to change it to e-file, but I can't get into the system to do that.

@ newyorker wrote:

I said I wasn't ready to file my New York State taxes yet so it went to mail, and now iI want to change it to e-file, but I can't get into the system to do that.

Does TurboTax think you were going to file by printing and mailing, so your return is closed, but you haven't actually mailed anything?  And are you asking how to change filing methods for your unfiled return?

If you haven't actually filed at all, you can open the return back up and change the filing method.

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is still in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section and change the filing method to efile.
  • Then continue on answering all the remaining screens and at the final step click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."

Or is your problem something else?  See the ADDENDUM in my next comment which follows this one.

@ newyorker 

ADDENDUM:

In addition to the info I left you above, you didn't mention anything about the Federal return.  Has it been filed already, and was it efiled or printed, signed, dated, and mailed?

If you mailed the Federal return, then you cannot efile the state return.  It would also have to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.

If you have efiled the Federal return first separately, has it been accepted?  You cannot efile a state return separately until the efiled Federal return has been accepted.

If you haven't yet filed the Federal return at all, you can efile both the Federal and state returns at the same time.

lisagalinis
Returning Member

Can I do a paper file through turbo tax

@lisagalinis If you want to file by mail instead of e-filing, you can do that.  The fees are the same for using TurboTax whether you e-file or mail it in an envelope.  And just so you know----mailed returns take much longer to be processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Where to mail federal paper returns

https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

lisagalinis
Returning Member

Need to change to paper file taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies