Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jenkins18
Returning Member

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

66 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

It doesn't matter whether or not your mother has filed her tax return this year. What matters is if you still qualify as her dependent. The IRS will go by your most recent tax return to determine eligibility. If your mother is claiming you as a dependent on her 2019 tax return then you should have indicated so when you filed. In this case, you will not receive a stimulus payment since dependents are not eligible. If your mother is not claiming you as a dependent this year, then you do qualify. The IRS will send your payment based on your 2019 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jenkins18
Returning Member

So I did put that she could claim me this year but I am 19 so I don’t think I should have put it because I am not a college student so she can’t claim me if I’m 19 right? So that being said, since I put that she can but she can’t will I be able to get the check?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you are any age, and you live with her and she pays more than half of you expenses, she can claim you.  If you want to change what was posted, bot your Mom and you will have to file amended tax returns.  She would have to do it first to take you off as a dependent.  You will have to wait 3-4 weeks and send yours in, claiming yourself as a dependent.

If you've filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.  I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before sending it to ensure that the IRS does not confuse the returns.  You have three years to file an amended return.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

Jenkins18
Returning Member

But she has not done her taxes this year yet and won’t claim me this year. But I did my taxes back in January and accidentally put that she can claim me this year so will that mean I don’t get the stimulus check?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

That is correct, if you accidentally listed yourself as a dependent of your mom, you will not get your stimulus check.  

If you filed your return incorrectly, you can file an amended return for 2019.  Here's how to file a 2019 Amended Return

Jenkins18
Returning Member

And if I do amend my return will I still get the stimulus check after It goes through 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

As long as you meet the other requirements for the stimulus payment, you will receive it. 

@Jenkins18

Jenkins18
Returning Member

Okay thanks. I just wanna make sure that if I do it And meet the requirements that I will still get the check even if it doesn’t come until May

What if I put I could be claimed but I’m 22 and don’t live at home with my dad. I filed my own taxes. Would I have to amend even though he probably can’t claim me? 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you are a dependent or could be claimed as a dependent on your 2019 federal tax return, then you will not get a stimulus payment this year. 

The stimulus payments are advance payments of credits for the tax year 2020. This means if you were a dependent in 2019, but not in 2020 you can claim the credit and get paid when doing your taxes a year from now.

If you put you could be claimed as a dependent, I would recommend amending your return if that is not true. Whoever claimed you as a dependent would also have to amend their return. In truth, I do not know if this will help you get a payment this year. The IRS is not currently processing returns that are filed by mail and amended returns are filed by mail. It takes up to 6 weeks normally for the IRS to process amended returns, there is no telling how long it will take now. 

I'm not a college student but my mom still claimed me on her taxes will I get a stimulus payment?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@DESHAUN

Based on what you’re saying, you won’t qualify for the stimulus.  Please see DeanM15’s answer above.

Ok one more thing my father owe back pay for child support will I get that from the stimulus payment he receive or no?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@DESHAUN

No. 

If your father would otherwise have a stimulus check coming, it would most likely be offset by any child support he owes – that is, he wouldn’t get the check, and the check amount would go towards child support he owes.  So the payment may wind up in your mom’s hands for your benefit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies