turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tkcam
Returning Member

Will eligibility for Parent Plus Student Loan forgiveness be based on individual income, or how we file ? Married filed jointly we do not qualify, but individually I do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Will eligibility for Parent Plus Student Loan forgiveness be based on individual income, or how we file ? Married filed jointly we do not qualify, but individually I do

If you file married filing separately you will not be eligible to get any sort of education credit.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Final information on a "forgiveness"  that may not ever happen is not yet available ... 

This is the official Department of Education FAQ and information on the Relief. 

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief-announcement/

tkcam
Returning Member

The Parent Plus Loan is in my name. 

Would my eligibility be based on my individual income, in which case I would qualify, or based on how we filed taxes, married filing jointly, in which case I wouldn't qualify

Again the situation is "in flux" and no one can answer that question so please follow the changes in the link posted ... that is where information will be distributed as it becomes available. 

Also your loan administrator should be sending out information on what you need to do ...  so contact them with these questions. 

tkcam
Returning Member

Hello,

So by looking at the application for student debt relief, if my individual AGI for either 2020 or 2021 was under $125k, and I filed married filing jointly, I will need to Re-file to married filing separately in order to qualify for my Individual $10k of Loan Forgiveness..

Would that be correct ?

Again the situation is "in flux" as it goes thru the courts to see if it is constitutional   SO   at this time  no one can answer that question thus  please follow the changes in the link posted ... that is where information will be distributed as it becomes available. 

tkcam
Returning Member

Forget about the courts.   

I'm talking about as it stands now with the eligibility parameters.

The question can be answered.

Then look for the answer from the EOD directly ... see the links below.

This is the official Department of Education FAQ and information on the Relief.  

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief-announcement/

Application info: 

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/debt-relief-info

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies