turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jherb1221

Why won’t it let me fix an error ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

If you have not already filed, you can correct errors made in TurboTax by going to where you entered  the item and select Edit next to it to correct it

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rad tech

How can I correct an error after already filing for the taxes?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If you already filed your return you can't make any changes.  Wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to fix it and

resubmit it.

If your return is accepted, wait until your return has been fully processes and you received your refund ( if you are expecting a refund ), then amend your return. 

Here's how you amend your return:

1. Sign in to you account.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents , select 2019 and then Amend (change) return
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Follow the instructions, your refund or tax due will change to 0. This is normal on amended returns.

Amended return can't be e-file, you need to print it and mail it in.

What about when the error seems to be something TT automatically carried over from another form (ie from federal to state return)? The software returns errors on items for me when it runs a check and asks me to check this entry, but then it won't allow me to type into the field that it thinks has an error. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have an error on your State return and you entered (let's say) the asset on the Federal return, you must return to the Federal portion of the return to correct the error. 

TurboTax carries over many items from the Federal to the state returns. Try to see where the number is coming from and return to where you entered it on the Federal side.

Unfortunately the number that it's showing on my state return is not a number on the federal return. It's a totally different number so there is no way for me to correct the federal number to change the error on state taxes as you suggested. Is there a way for me to change the information in the state return, or otherwise access the particular tax form where the error is showing up? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

if you are using a desktop version you can go to forms view by selecting "forms" in upper right hand of page. 

If you are working an online version sometimes you can correct the error above the forms box on the page that is showing you the error.  If not, take note of the error. 

Is it a "tax" or "credit" or "income" or "residency" issue?  Then go to your state interview and continue until you get to the summary page and "edit/update" the area of concern.  

mbw1942
Returning Member

I filed free with you and cannot recover to fix error.  I filed for 2019.  I put 12.812 for income instead of the correct amount of 13.812.  I have not received my stimulus check.  What do I do.  My email is [email address removed]   Phone number [phone number removed].  .                                                                                                                                           

mbw1942
Returning Member

I cannot bring up the account.  Have tried every way

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Are you logging into your account using the same user ID?  Please see the following link to ensure you are logging in using the same information.

Account recovery if unsure of user ID

If you have already filed your tax return, you will need to prepare an amended return to correct the amount of income you have reported.

Amend return

TT  online Self-Employed - has found a selection that it doesn't like the answer to (that it filled in itself) Schedule C, Auto, Special depreciation.

Should be no anwer, but it keeps switching it back to no, telling me the vehicle does not qualify (which I knew), and then telling me to fix it again or file by mail.

Is this something that is wrong with the program or is there an answer further back I can change to make the system skip over this??

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I would go back to the screen Based on the miles you drove......  You must have selected I'll enter my actual expenses.

Change the selection to I'll take the standard mileage deduction.  Then you can change it back to I'll enter my actual expenses and start over with the interview questions. 

I suspect that the issue has to do with whether the vehicle was coded as a 'new' vehicle.  Special depreciation or bonus depreciation can be found in this TurboTax Help.

Turbo Tax is not allowing me to correct errors. Can someone help? Suddenly I am locked out and don't understand why. I'm a first-year user. 

When I select the update button, the information remains locked. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies