Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHY DOES THE SITE CONTINUE TO FREEZE

I am wondering why the site is going so slow and freezing every time i try to continue the filing process? This has been going on without exception for about 2 weeks. I have checked many forums and i am not the only one having this issue. 

The amount of time i have invested in this process now makes me feel like using turbo tax was a poor investment of my time. If you count up all the hours spent waiting and waiting along with the time taken to actually input the data, I could of spent much less time and money on a tax professional. At this point the sunk cost is adding up. 

Can you please fix this. I cannot be the only frustrated long time customer who likely wont be back next year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

75 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why.  But we can try to fix it.  If you are filing with TurboTax online, let's do these: 

• I would suggest you check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program. 
  • You should also clear your cache and sign back into the program.   To clear cache, click here: Cache
  • You may also try a different browser.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WBM1

I am so frustrated this year as well - I barely even made money using Robinhood (partner of TurboTax) and I cannot file ... I get to the final step and it wants me to "check" entries (from the 1099-B I uploaded, not hand entered) and this freezes up the entire system... please please help I just want to get this crap off my to-do list.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

In some instances, temporary internet files can disrupt access to secure websites. If a page fails to load or you experience difficulties signing in to your account, clear your browser's temporary internet files, including cookies, cache and browser history.  Then close and restart your browser.  

blah
Level 3

I have had the same problems this year with Turbo Tax Online, it is a miserable process, it just sits there and spins forever on almost everything I try to do.  I have spent nearly 3 days on tech support, they always try and blame it on on my computer and internet, I have a high speed modern computer and 360Mbps comcast internet.  So, wrong wrong wrong, clearing cache is worthless as well.   However now that few people are online, I was finally able to get through my Schedule K-1's, even with the constant upload issues and freeze ups.  

Now I am trying to file and it just spins and spins in Review Process, I have waited for hours and hours and it is still spinning.   Turbo Tax Online has become a pretty useless product and a massive waste of time.   I too am wishing I had used a more professional product from another company, sadly I been using this for years back when it worked great.   Now all my carry over data is stuck inside their cloud.  OMG the dread of changing to a new product, but this has been so bad this year that I think I don't have any choice.   I can not even file my taxes because of the Crappy Service...   I wonder why they don't just update their servers, clearly they can not handle the load.  Or maybe their code is just full of bugs and Thread lockups... that is likely to be the case is their backend code is so bad they are having thread locks.  Many programmers I used to work with had no idea on how to use threads and properly manage them.  LOL

PS : I found a solution.    DO NOT USE Turbo Tax Import Feature for you broker 1099's, it will try and import every single individual transaction which causes their back end servers to roll over and play dead.  Instead delete any 1099 you imported and just manually add the whole cost basis numbers instead of the individual transactions.  Short Term totals, Long Term totals, etc and then their back end servers can handle it.   Worked For Me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am outside the country, and there is no international number to call. Supposedly they can send a text to my US phone number...but won't send a message to an international number which is all I have..

Over two months of trying to finish filing. It just doesn't move on from "file and Pay". I would have thought they would want me to pay...but can't get any further. Two separate browsers, followed all the suggestions...nothing.

Hoping they will fix this before July 15th!

Anyone else still with these problems?

I am facing the same issue. There is a page in the end "Check This Entry" and spins forever.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Please try clearing your cookies in your browser and then log back into your TurboTax software.  Many times, this will help clear the issue and allow you to log back in. 

Instructions to clear cookies to restart TurboTax 

Trying to do taxes but the website keeps freezing up

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@bonnie00258 You may need to clear your cache and cookies. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and continue with your tax return. 

If you still continue to have the same problem, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

This is literally the laziest goddamned response you TurboTax customer service could possibly muster.  I too have been on over 4 hours worth of troubleshooting calls.  I've done the cookie thing, cache thing, and I've tried three different browsers across a desktop, a laptop, and on a mobile phone as well as the downloaded app.  NOTHING WORKS!  Get your heads out of your asses and FIX THE GODDAMNED ISSUE!  It's clearly been a problem for years and is specifically tied to the 1099-B upload for the holding period.

Same problem here!  Clearing the cache and browsing data does not work.  This has to be an issue with the software.  If enough people complain about this issue maybe the TT team will fix the issue.

You're going to have to delete your 1099 and manually input your data to avoid their janky ass holding holding period bug.  It's the only way I could finish the process.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you checked to see if your software needs updating? Help with doing so has been provided by clicking here.

CLEARLY ITS A PROBLEM ON TURBO TAX'S END!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS. BLAME YOUR CUSTOMERS SOME MORE! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies