turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

I couldn't transfer from my 2019 e-filed return, despite following directions received here.  So I started a new return from scratch.  It is almost finished, but when trying to access it I received a "file corrupted" message.  This is the second time this year  this has happened and it never happened before in all my years using Turbotax.  I hate to have to re-enter everything again.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

while others have reported issues with installing and updating the app, you are the first to report multiple file corruptions. one possibility is a corrupted installation that corrupts the file when you save it. you can try to uninstall the app. reboot and try reinstalling. no assurances this will solve your file corruption issue since there are many other things that can cause file corruption, search the web for possibilities.  also make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for windows 10. 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software
SOLVED•by TurboTax•TurboTax Windows•5179•Updated 7 days ago
Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2020 software for Windows operating system before installing. More info

Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.
Processor: Pentium 4 or Athlon or later
Hard Drive Space
• 2020: 1 GB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed)
RAM
• 2020: 2 GB or more recommended
CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.
Internet connection
• 2020: 1 Mbps modem (broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features
Monitor resolution: 1024x768 or higher recommended
To view your tax forms onscreen, you'll need adobe 11 or higher and a compatible printer if you want to print paper copies.
Note: If you just meet the minimum system requirements, TurboTax may run slowly on your computer. We recommend exceeding these requirements for best performance.

View solution in original post

107 Replies

while others have reported issues with installing and updating the app, you are the first to report multiple file corruptions. one possibility is a corrupted installation that corrupts the file when you save it. you can try to uninstall the app. reboot and try reinstalling. no assurances this will solve your file corruption issue since there are many other things that can cause file corruption, search the web for possibilities.  also make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for windows 10. 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software
SOLVED•by TurboTax•TurboTax Windows•5179•Updated 7 days ago
Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2020 software for Windows operating system before installing. More info

Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.
Processor: Pentium 4 or Athlon or later
Hard Drive Space
• 2020: 1 GB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed)
RAM
• 2020: 2 GB or more recommended
CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.
Internet connection
• 2020: 1 Mbps modem (broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features
Monitor resolution: 1024x768 or higher recommended
To view your tax forms onscreen, you'll need adobe 11 or higher and a compatible printer if you want to print paper copies.
Note: If you just meet the minimum system requirements, TurboTax may run slowly on your computer. We recommend exceeding these requirements for best performance.

CO33

I have the same problem. I have received a corrupt file message three times and am getting frustrated having to restart my return.

Mike, Mike, Mike ... I'm sure you're a champ and all; and you did your best to answer the question, but Intuit can hardly say that your answer "solved" the problem.  The lady worked all day figuring out her taxes, and Turbo Tax screwed up the file so now she has to do it all again.  And then, after you responded, another guy says this happened to him three times!  That's not a solution, Intuit.  That's a problem that you can't solve because you are just a bunch of imperfect human beings who don't know why are these files are getting corrupted and don't want to spend the $$ to find out.  (You didn't ask, for example, that these files be sent to Intuit to take a look at them and see what was going on.)  And why should you?  You are just a corporation out to make money and you already got the money so why spend it trying to fix a few corrupted files and correct the program to keep it from happening again?  But Mike didn't solve the problem, Intuit, so don't pretend he did.  Well, I gotta go.  Its been fun pointing out the issue but now I have go redo my taxes because the file became corrupted on a computer with about 8X the minimum system requirements listed by Intuit.

LeslieW
Returning Member

Same issue here.  I got a software version from Costco, I had to enter everything because it couldn't transfer my 2019 file, I thought ok, something's wrong with my pdf file, then after spending three hours going over my paperwork and got everything in, saved my file so I could review it later before e-file and now I got a "looks like your file is corrupted" error message and please try again or start over?  What's with the intuit/turbo tax this year?  And the wait time to talk to a CS is over one hour long?   This issue is definitely not resolved!  Someone please fix this!  I can't believe I spent over than $60 for a broken software!  

The EXACT SAME PROBLEM here with Disc installed TURBOTAX 2020 Premier,

I did not have any problem filing my taxes with the 2019 Disc Turbo Tax Premier.

I loaded the recently Amazon ordered, Yr 2020 Disc on my recently bought Laptop which far surpasses the minimum requirements of the TurboTax.

First it will not transfer my 2019 TurboTax Data to the 2020 Premier Disc, OK no big deal, I started completing the TT forms & saved, today when I resumed my work it says your DATA File is corrupted, what the heck is this ???.

Any product flourishes on repeat customers, the TurboTax helped me file my taxes last year & I am back this year  buying the TT again, so I will be back again if you solve this problem, that is how it is with every one of us & every product you & I buy & use.

It is better to solve the genuine problems of your customers who trusted & bought your product & their good word of mouth will sell your product automatically, it works like clock work.

Do not waste money posting crazy expensive TV Ads on Super Bowl.

Anyway enough said, please help me here as I am stuck now. I am lucky the last filing date is 60 days ahead.

What do I do now ???

Thanks for hearing my rant, with my best.

Raj

Redc
Level 2

Same problem with 2020 Turbotax Home and Business.  Couldn't import properly saved (on home computer) 2019 return file so I started from scratch.  I've completed my 2020 return but not yet filed it.  Saved it multiple times during input and again when I stopped.  Went to call it up today to review and I get this message: "Looks like your tax file is corrupt, we're having trouble opening your return.  Try opening again.  If that doesn't solve the problem, create a new tax return."

Never happened in any prior years.  I do returns for family members and I'm going to suspect I won't be able to access their 2019 files and might not be able to successfully save their 2020 returns.  Not acceptable!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps in the following TurboTax FAQs to see if that resolves the issue:

If you continue to have issues please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same problem.  Can't import 2019, cant open started return.  Uninstalled, installed, same problem.  I want my money back.  The program doesn't work.

Redc
Level 2

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling but was still unable to load my 2019 file to begin 2020 return.  The system also says it would read pdf versions, but that bombed as well.  Ended up doing 2020 from scratch.

HOWEVER...

Not only did I do multiple saves while working on 2020 data, I also left the file name alone (default) thinking maybe that was somehow related to the problem with my prior year's file (which name I customized when saving).  Before going too far with 2020 data, I saved my file and ended the program, then reopened the current year file without problem.  I was also able to bring in the 2019 files to just set up the 2020 returns for my family members (they were saved using 2019 file name defaults), resaved them to my 2020 hard drive folder using their default names, and haven't had any other issues reaccesing them.

Take this for what it's worth.  Still shouldn't have had the issue with my saved 2019 file, but...

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since you continue to experience the same problem, even after following the troubleshooting steps, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support for further assistance.

Same issue, corrupt files.

reloaded software a couple of times.

used two different computers with Windows 10.

tried to bring 2019 returns into 2020. Received corrupted file notification.

used file backups created last year of 2019 returns, corrupt file notification once again.

started returns and saved to find newly created returns were identified as corrupt when trying to reopen.

Getting frustrated! Tried all of the listed possible remedies with negative results.

When is the update to correct this flaw going to hit the street?

Please fix this issue. I have done this 10X. Everyone is corrupt no matter what I do. 

I hope Intuit goes out of business because of this. This is hopeless. Where is my money back? I will never ever purchase anything from these idiots again! 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@BDU48

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@BirdyMaker Please click How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product? and select your product to request a refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies