Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being charged to file my state taxes?

I understand I have to pay to file federal taxes, but it didn’t say I had to pay State ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Yep...Online software has a separate state charge...

Only "most" of the desktop sets include a state software set (but still have to pay $20 or $25 to e-file it)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

See this page for the Online products.  It says State Additional on each version Deluxe and above.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>
nbianchi

I live in Florida why am I being charged time file state taxes?

@nbianchi wrote:

I live in Florida why am I being charged time file state taxes?

Why did you select to complete a Florida tax return if you were not required to complete a Florida tax return?

Delete the state tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

Florida State Return.JPG

I have used Turbo Tax for many, many years, but have only e-filed maybe once, and that was quite a few years back.  I am one of those who like paper copies on top of digital ones.  But this year I decided I would try the e-file thing.  It was a pain in you know what.  They wanted a bunch of information for security reasons, which I get, but I am not happy with having to send my personal information out into the ethers.  I have no idea how secure it is.  But I carried on, once I got to the end I found I was going to need to pay $25 for each state I have to file in.  I did not see any information about needing to pay prior to getting to that screen!  I was not a happy camper.  Much less expensive to mail and print a copy.  I would have expected TT to at least put some kind of notice... all they say is it is free to e-file Federal return.  Well, that doesn't address State returns.  I bit the bullet and spent the money, but that won't happen again.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@CaddyGrn Sorry that you did not realize that there was an additional charge to file your state return; if you look at this product page on our website, it says 'state additional' below the federal filing price of each version except for Free Edition.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the information.  I have used TT for more than 25 years... but I usually purchase it from Amazon, so It says one free state along with the Fed return.  You can file the Fed for free, so I guess I "assumed" the state would be as well.  Lesson learned.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies