Solved: Re: Where do I report speaking honoraria income?

jarosz6

Where do I report speaking honoraria income?

My spouse received $200 and $500 for 2 separate speaking engagements. Can they be considered gifts and not reported/taxed? He did not receive a 1099 or any such tax form, just a check.

LeeM

Since honorariums are generally not considered self-employment, you would enter that as miscellaneous income by following the directions below:

• Select Federal Taxes, Wages and Income and then scroll to the bottom
  • Select Miscellaneous Income under the Less Common Income category then
  • Select Reportable Income, then
  • Select "Yes" and, in the next screen, describe the income.

DaveF1006

After careful research, IRS Revenue Ruling 55-431 states if an individual accepts an occasional invitation to make a speech for, which he or she receives an honorarium, he or she is NOT engaged in a trade or business for self-employment tax. In your particular instance, two speaking engagements are occasional and are considered other income.  

Here is a link to the journal of Accountancy, which is a trusted source for tax research information. Note the reference it makes to Revenue Ruling 58-112 that characterizes a trade or business activity as one that is regular, frequent and continuous. It also states in the link that Revenue Ruling 55-431 states “as a general rule, an individual who accepts an occasional invitation to make a speech is not engaged in a trade or business.” After this quote, it explains what other income is.

This link  briefly references Revenue Ruling 55-431. Please select this hyperlink for more supporting detail.  

LeeM

• Select Reportable Income, then

tax9

What is your support for the assertion that honoraniums (actually, honoraria is the correct plural) generally are not considered self-employment income. I suggest that they frequently constitute self-employment income and should be reported as such on Form 1040, Sch. C. For example, someone who frequently receives speaking honoraria will be considered to be in a trade or business.

DaveF1006

nadjapop

Hello, when I enter my speaker honorarium as miscellaneous income, TurboTax automatically transfers it to self-employment income. Why? As you said, this is not considered self employment.

Thank you for your help.

DMarkM1

Be sure it is entered using the steps above.

Under the  "Miscellaneous Income" category, step 3, be sure to scroll down to the bottom and find "Other Reportable Income."  It should not show up in self-employment.  

Suomalainen

Hi Dave.  

Awesome Answer..