turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

teacakex

Where can I find the total amount of tax credits I received in 2018? FAFSA tells me to look at (IRS) Form 1040 Schedule 3-line 50 but my form stops at line 31.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Where can I find the total amount of tax credits I received in 2018? FAFSA tells me to look at (IRS) Form 1040 Schedule 3-line 50 but my form stops at line 31.

Not everyone has all of the possible six schedules that could have been part of your 2018 tax return.  If you do not have a Schedule 3 it is because you did not enter any data that required it.  Your 2018 tax return will print out with all of the forms and schedules that YOU needed in order to file your 2018 tax return.

But if you want to see what Schedule 3 looks like:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you were being claimed as someone else's dependent then you could not take the education credit  (line 50 of the Schedule 3)  on your own tax return.  It would have belonged on the return of the person who claimed you as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Just curious.  What form do you have that stops at line 31?  What does line 31 description say?  I don't see any forms that end with line 31.

Either FASFA wants the 2017 info from line 50  OR  they have the wrong form  number for 2018 ... that would be line 50 of the Sch 3 :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf

teacakex

Above line 31 it says Lifetime Learning Credit and Line 31 says " Adjusted qualified expenses (see instructions) Include the total amount from all Parts III, Line 31 on Part II, Line 10 " but I don't have any other pages after that.
I downloaded this previous return from my account on TurboTax so hopefully my file isn't cut off within the server or something.

OK ... STOP looking at the form 8863 ... FASFA wants the amounts from the form 1040 line 50 for the 2017 return  OR   Sch 3 line 50 on the 2018 return.  

Carl
Level 15

Form 1040 Schedule 3-line 50 but my form stops at line 31.

No it doesn't.You're looking at the wrong form. SCH 3 doesn't even have a line 31 on it at all. In fact, SCH 3 starts with line 48 and ends with line 55. Line 50 of the SCH 3 is labeled "Education Credits from form 8863, Line 19".  Make sure you're looking at the right thing. You can see what SCH 3 looks like at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies