Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msk0

When will 2019 turbotax desktop (filed 2020) be available?

I have a need to run 2019 what-if tax scenarios.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

97 Replies

2019 software does not typically become available until sometime in November.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2019 should remain relatively similar to 2018.  You can use Save As and name it 2019whatif and run your scenario that way.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

@Lisa995  Thank you, that sounds nice, but there are many concerns about the changes already made.

There are already tax bracket and rate changes and there are rule changes on deductions and limits.  November (maybe) is quite late to do any tax planning and act on it.  

For example: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2018/11/15/irs-announces-2019-tax-rates-standard-deduc...

This article shows that there are LOTS of changes on the allowed amounts for deductions. 

Intuit needs to get their act together before November.  We have a lot of work to do.

david

I agree and wish they would at least have a app so I can start filling out my 2019 return to save time in December. I want to fill it out as the year goes on.

Sorry--the 2019 tax software does not become available until late in November, and will still need updates early in the season.  Do you realize that it is not just TurboTax that has to "get its act together" but that all of the 2019 tax preparation software on the market (not just TT software) has to undergo approval by the IRS before it is released?

Try the Taxcaster tool:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
anniemcq

There are many tax software packages available to do this, but they are extremely expensive and used primarily by financial planners and tax preparers.   Lacerte, BNA, and Intuit ProConnect come to mind.   These professional packages try to stay up to date.   For TurboTax, which is geared towards individual users, they try to incorporate all major tax changes so it comes late.   Congress often makes tax changes late in the year!   

I often use the method of copying the prior year files (i.e. 2019play) and tweak the numbers to get a projection for my personal taxes.   The only year this was WAY off was 2018 because of the misnomed tax cuts and jobs act.    If you absolutely need accuracy, go to a professional.   They have the tools (for which they pay a lot) and the expertise to help you.

For tax planning you always use the prior year program ... and when it comes to estimated payments you can always use the Safe Harbor method so you don't really need the new program or tax laws since you use the known amount from the prior tax year. 

SORIE1830

I will like to know when will 2019 tax software be available.

@SORIE1830  Did you read the answers above?

2019 won't come out until November for the Desktop program and the Online versions usually don't open until early December.

@SORIE1830 

For tax planning you always use the prior year program ... to estimate 2019 you use the 2018 program ... and when it comes to estimated payments you can always use the Safe Harbor method so you don't really need the new program or tax laws since you use the known amount from the prior tax year. 

This is my mini version of the downloaded tutorial that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  •  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  •  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  •  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  • https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >> use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip:If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Saveand then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

GEN85508

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

IMHO, the Taxcaster tool is a really bad joke.  Missing so much I got pretty wild numbers out of it.  As I recall, didn't handle even basic Medicare, for instance.  The real question - if you have 2018 and you use the whatif tool, is Intuit keeping it up to date with the latest changes in tax brackets and the like?

AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 6, 2019

@FireFish wrote:

AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 6, 2019

TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/when-can-i-expect-to-receive-my-turbotax-a...

When can I expect to receive my TurboTax Advantage order?

TurboTax Advantage downloads for tax year 2019 will start releasing on November 5 and the CDs will be shipped between November 14 and 22. Check your order status here.

If you ordered TurboTax on a CD, you can also get the downloadable version after it releases in early November. To access, sign in to your TurboTax Advantage account and select Downloads.

Downloads BEGIN 11/6 however not everyone will get access to them on that day so do not be surprised if you don't see it on that day.  ALSO the first program is just a beta version and is far from fully operational.

If you need to do "what if" scenarios then you really need to use the  fully functional 2018 program. 

This is my mini version of  the downloaded version’s tutorial that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  •  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  •  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  •  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  • https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >> use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip:If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

GEN85508

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies