Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bvgurn44
Returning Member

When I attempt to open a .tax2021 tax file using TurboTax Premier 2021 the file is unrecognized. Is there any way to correct this issue?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

When I attempt to open a .tax2021 tax file using TurboTax Premier 2021 the file is unrecognized. Is there any way to correct this issue?

Is there a error message or code?  Have you updated the program and downloaded any state programs in the tax file?   Can you start a new blank tax return?   

bvgurn44
Returning Member

No, there's no error code. The application spins for a second with a notification that says "Reading your return..." but doesn't upload the file. 

I recently downloaded the program and installed the automatic updates that appeared. 

I'm able to start a blank return, but I would prefer not to do that since I already have all of my documents and information uploaded in the web version I was forced to export. 

it seems you're trying to open the online file with the desktop program.  this is not possible. you need to first directly upload the  .tax2021 file to your computer. any fees owed will have to be paid, 

You cannot UPLOAD a 2021 tax file into the 2021 program ... instead you OPEN it.   If you have the .tax2021 file on your hard drive then when you open the 2021 program you should be able to OPEN it.   If the tax file already has a state return in it you must first start a fake return and install the same state ... only then will the .tax2021 file open correctly. 

First save the tax file from Online. You can download the .tax2021 data file without paying for Online and continue in the desktop version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

You need to install the program on your computer and move your online return to the Desktop program. How to switch…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies