Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What is TurboTax 2021 Running Slow on PC?

Yup!  Just for now, I switched to Forms, entered my w2s and w2-gs without a hitch then switched back to step-by-step.  Hope they fix it next year!

JKanis

Is there a way to turn-off the auto calculation of the Fed/State summary at the top (wait until after I save the form?)  I think that slows it way, way down.

Only a few have mentioned having issues which probably means this is something in your computer's configuration ... maybe disconnect from the internet and turn off your security ... see if that helps. 

actually a lot of people are talking about this.  AND people who boot up TurboTax for 2020 are NOT seeing this problem with that version of this program.

I have been using TurboTax for over a decade with no issues, but I am also having the issue entering W-2's. (That's as far as I made it before I gave up.)  I found this thread before I called tech support and referenced it many times on the phone with them to convey it wasn't just me.  Everyone is right that they are not acknowledging the issue is with their software.  Both my computer and software are updated.  I have spent over 4 hours in two calls on the phone with tech support.  They remoted into my computer on two separate occasions and saw the issue for themselves.  They had me install the software on a second computer to verify it still happened.  They also had me uninstall the CD version and download from their site - same results.   After all that, I received an email a day later saying they researched the issue and could not replicate the issue on Turbo Tax ONLINE!!  When I called back to tell them it was not the online version, after another hour and half, their resolution is to have me use the online version.  However, it requires an online coupon code plus a refund to get me back to the price I paid for the CD version.  

I am so sorry...  I just gave up on tech support. I switched to forms for my w2's and switched back for the rest.   All is okay.

Wendy 🙂

Have no idea why its running so slowly! Ive been using for 15 years and this is really bad.  Thinking about switching actually, I don't have time to waste...seriosuly.

TURBOTAX 2021 gets a HUGE thumbs down ! (especially after finding that this problem has been reported for months without a solution) smh

For me, TT was only slow when entering W2-Gs - I had many!   Go to forms to enter W2s, then switch back to Step-by-Step to finish up.  It is a glitch, which will hopefully be fixed next year.

H&R Block premium was my lifeboat from the TurboTax H&B nightmare.  It was about $50 for a download via Amazon.  The program ran just fine, though support for city taxes was not as good as TurboTax USUALLY is.

H&R had no trouble importing last year's tax data from the TurboTax file, so don't feel like you will have to start from zero.

I may try going back to TurboTax next year, but if it seems twitchy at all, I'll get my money back just like this year.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please make sure the program is up to date and then do not run other programs or have open windows in your web browser at the same time.

If this does not help, please reach out to support.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

You can view the information offered in this thread.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/what-is-turbotax-2021-running-slow-on-pc/00/24296...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AlexB3

The 2021 TurboTax Deluxe is a total garbage, it is slow to the point that it is impossible to use.

I have ordered on Amazon a CD for a PC. Every click is followed by at least 10 seconds wait, even after a text field is activated (after the wait), it takes 10 seconds for anything you type to start to appear. Moving from one screen to the next takes about 15 seconds. This is so frustrating, I have been using TurboTax for years and never before had such a miserable experience. It is amazing that such garbage was allowed to be released. After this, there is no trust in the product, who knows what else was screwed up in this version, can we even trust the calculations it is doing, of if it follows the latest IRS rules.

AlexB3

What kind of a suggestion this is "Do not run other programs or have open windows in your web browser at the same time"? You should have put this message in large red letters on the CD cover box.

I am sorry but this is so unhelpful I am surprised Intuit sees this as a legitimate answer. It's like I pay an electrician to re-wire my house but a fuse keeps getting blown whenever I have two lights on in two different rooms and I complain and she just responds, "Well, you need to turn off one of the lights." Uh, no, I should be able to have lots on all over the place. 

If your computer is ever somewhat new you should be able to run TT while also having a browser open and even another program (maybe Quicken) since I am doing my taxes and it would not be unusual to be looking at my financial program and something on the IRS website, for example. Telling us to make sure everything is off is just a ridiculous answer that no one should take seriously. 

Only a few have posted having this issue so it is not a problem for the masses thus it may be impossible for TT to fix or adjust for this situation unilaterally.   It may be something in your OS  or  security system that is slowing things up.  If you are using WIN make very sure the updates are all installed ... reboot a couple of times if needed.    Some have reported that turning off the internet/security system helps.  Others enter the problem areas last and combine the forms into one entry and/or use the FORMS mode.  You will have to figure what works for you or use the TT online program or use another program completely... your choice. 

THAT is not a suggestion, or even an attempt to help.  It is a delaying tactic to avoid taking responsibility for a defective product. My gaming computer is less than a year old and it bogged down to a standstill with only a dozen W's having been entered.

By this point, TurboTax should have a disclaimer on its site that it is at least WORKING on a fix.  Enough people are having and reporting this slowdown issue 

I ended up getting a refund for TurboTax H&B and downloaded H&R Block Premium (the H&R equivalent to T.T. H&B) and because this program allows you to import last year's TurboTax return file I did not have to enter personal data all over again, only all my incime and expesenses for this year.

I may try TurboTax H&B again next year, but I will bail out and again but H&R is TurboTax can't bet its act together by then!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies