turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is TurboTax 2021 Running Slow on PC?

I have downloaded the desktop program and it is super slow tabbing from one tab to the next. It is not the internet and it is not the computer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

125 Replies

First make sure the program is up to date and then do not run other programs at the same time or have open windows in your web browser as the program is kind of a memory hog.

Nope. That's not the issue - nothing else is running. And if it was that is no excuse. I am using a new computer with plenty of memory with a higher-end processer.  Every time the program is making a tax calculation it literally takes nine seconds. I am just entering W2 info. This better to resolved quickly. This is clearly a program issue.

TTX rewrote the W-2 entry section this year.  Appears to be a separate subprocess now.

Yes, some full pages take longer to load, but I don't see much change in the speed between the actual entry fields....as long as I click in each box to change boxes.

Mine is a Windows 10 system  16mb system fixed RAM.

a...new Windows 11 system with the same RAM should work similarly, but W11 is pretty new and who knows how it is handling new W-2 sub-routine

....but, if you are using "Dynamic RAM Memory" with a SSD , maybe there's an issue there.  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I am using Windows 10 with more than enough RAM and processing power - it's not even close. 

If TT changed something this year that is the most likely culprit. Although it would be hard to notice because this forum is not the most user-friendly. I spent more time than I should have trying to find the best place to post this issue. 

Is it a W-2G by any chance?  I've seen others report long delays when entering a W-2G.  Or is it a regular W-2?

Hello - 

No, it is just a normal W2. And it is just tabbing (or clicking from one line to the next). I can "see" what is happening...I enter an amount, TT, thinks for 9 seconds and then adjusts my refund (or what I owe) and then I can type in the next box...rinse and repeat. 

That is the same problem I am seeing - I have over 100 W2-Gs to enter and I have only done 20.  This is so frustrating.  I am using TurboTax Home and Business on my new PC running Windows 10 and the program is updated.  Please fix the program before I go nuts!  I enter a field, wait 10 seconds, then enter the next field, etc.  Argh!     

STOP ... you do not have to enter all those forms.  You can simply total all the winnings and enter the one figure ... simply say you did not get a W-2G form.  (Entering in all those forms is for your benefit only simply to get a total ... they are not part of the tax return and are not sent to the IRS with your efiling ... only the total is sent).

Thanks for the info, but that is not what the IRS said when I called them.  They said they wanted each form. 

Entering or not entering the info is not the point. The point is that the program itself has an issue and needs to be corrected. Let's please focus on that.

@briangmac 

The majority of us with the desktop software do not have that problem....you would likely need someone at TTX Tech support take it over to look at it in detail. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Certainly, if someone finds a fix, they could post it here.....but will they?

Perhaps something not normally noticeable is affecting it.

Windows OS...  10 or 11.  Who knows what wrenches W11 might toss into the normal software setup.

SSD or active disk....and perhaps a new driver that has never been tested with the software

System RAM?  8, 12, 16, 32 Gig ?   (or maybe Dynamic RAM? )

Virus checker set really high?  (seems unlikely though...just a flying thought)

Software wasn't installed in the default directory?

A lot of guessing that really goes nowhere without you talking to a Tech support person in real time to go over everything.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Hi, all - I did try to call tech support, but the answering staff would not put me through.  I will try again.  So agitating!

I am having the same issue.  I have used TurboTax for 20+ years and this is ridiculous.  I need to do 4 tax returns and it's taking forever to enter ANYTHING.  The delay after entering a field isn't limited to W-2's either - it's K-1's, interest, dividends, EVERYTHING. 

I hope they fix this fast or this may be my last year with TurboTax - I'm already beyond disappointed with all the Quicken changes in the past couple years.

So crazy - I called tech support 3 times today and got 3 answers.  Everyone was nice, but no one had a solution. The more data I enter, the slower it gets....  I would try another program, but all my previous info is in the program.  Please get a fix soon, Turbotax!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies