Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is best way to proceed when turbo tax program is stuck and not responding? sign out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

56 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

What is best way to proceed when turbo tax program is stuck and not responding? sign out?

What version of TurboTax are you using? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same problem with the program sticking at several points on the income summery page.  When we try to review an area, we get the spinning doom blue circle.

Using premier, downloaded from disk

Have rebooted the computer

Have tried to enter another way, but can not see the path through.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@petvethall  I would first check your minimum system requirements: Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software

You can also check for updates: Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

Once you do the suggestions above, please try signing out and rebooting.

If the issue persists, please reach out to us.

washudad
Returning Member

I have the same issue -- using Windows 10 version of Turbo Tax Premier.  I am trying to add information on form 1099B whether sales are Long or Short (all of the rest of the data was successfully imported).  Sometimes I can get 5 entries done before the message "not responding", sometimes it is 1 entry.  I was able to do over 500 changes in the beginning -- now I get the "not responding" message quite often and I have many more changes to make.  I have defragged and checked for updates already

LFS45

We just had the same problem trying to review our 1099B. We have 1000s of transactions and once we click start it stops responding. Using Windows 10 with 845 GB memory available.  We rebooted 4 times plus restated a few times, same response.

I'm not sure which of the following fixed the looping problem, but it is fixed.

We purchased TurboTax from Costco and called the number on the back of the disc ([phone number removed]).  The help desk sent me a download via email to install updates (as opposed to the normal updates that happen every time I log on).  First time I tried to get past the stuck screen after the download, I continued to get the whirling circle and "Not responding".  The help desk put me on hold while they were making arrangements to get me a new version of TurboTax to download.  I walked away from computer for at least 5 to 10 minutes and when I returned TurboTax was responding and never locked up again.  I did not download a new version nor did I uninstall and reinstall TurboTax; though uninstall/reinstall was also suggested.  I do not know if I just needed to leave it in the "Not responding" error run for 10 minutes or there was something critical in the download PLUS the 10 minute wait that got me by this hurdle.  FYI, it is not my system, my PC far exceeds the requirements set by TurboTax as minimum requirements.

ross179
Returning Member

I am using the CD desktop 2019 version and trying to open the 1099 B section.  Each time I try the blue circle spins and I get the message that TurboTax is "not responding."  What can I do?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives for assistance with your software: 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@LFS45

What you want to do is try first to save from where you are at, if it allows you to, then exit the program and clear your cashe and cookies. You do this by following these steps, depending on what format you are working off of (not the TurboTax product, but your own format - if laptop, desktop, Android):

How To Clear My Cashe

How To Clear My Cashe and Cookies

In the Chrome app

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app .
  2. At the top right, tap More .
  3. Tap History. Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Tap Clear data.

THEN, shut down your system completely (total shut down, not "restart"). Wait about 3-5 minutes and then reboot and try again. Sometimes the fix is as easy as this. Not always, so I do hope this is an easy fix for you!

I have tried all of the above you suggested. It doesn't respond after covering 3 of 8 personal income and clicking on "Next Personal Income Section" button. I have Home & Business version. I called customer service but was hung up after being put on hold for 23 minutes.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, sign out. 

Be sure to check that your device meets minimum system requirements.

If it does not, see if you can open your Home & Business CD/Download on a compatible device.

Be sure to check for updates, which is listed under the Online menu item.

If the problem persists, you may need to contact TurboTax and ask them to push you a download. See:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Tried your suggestions to clear history then turned off and turned on after 10 minutes. It did not fix the problem. Please help!

I have been fighting with this for 2 months and TT has given every excuse about it being the computer.   I have done a brand new download, I've used a brand new computer, and 3 other computers and it still freezes up.  It non stop freezes.  I have cleared the cookies, and every thing, even though the computer was brand new.  The Problem is with Turbo Tax, and it's about time they get the top brass involved.  

Thank you

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are still having the same issue after trying all other troubleshooting, please click here to contact customer support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies