Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dt78
Level 2

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

You may be the first person trying to install in 2GB. !

close all other programs.

Are you sure you have enough hard drive free space ?

Make sure to close all other programs, maybe run a defrag as well.  If you are using windows make sure to run OS updates and reboot at least 3 times to make sure they are all installed.  

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Install TurboTax for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-install-the-turbotax-software-for-wind...

Install TurboTax for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-install-the-turbotax-software-for-mac/01/...

Troubleshoot  install for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-installing-and-running-turbotax-...

Troubleshoot install for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/turbotax-for-the-mac-installation-troubleshooter/0...

dt78
Level 2

Hi @fanfare, I have updated the machine and have at least 15GB of free space in the local hard drive and a TB free in the external drive.  I continue to get the "Sorry but your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements Memory (2084MB)" error which does not allow for any further actions. I also tried moving the file to an external drive and installing from there, but the same issues occur.  Is there another version that is in line with the Intuit documentation of a "recommendation" instead of requirement?  Those two words are not exactly interchangeable in the software world in my humble opinion.

Installation must go to the hard drive not a removable drive and you can use the Basic if you don't need a state return or the Deluxe if you do since all the downloaded versions handle all the same forms.  Don't know which program you are trying to install. 

dt78
Level 2

Hi Critter, I restarted 3 times after updates, defragmented the system and do not have any other programs running.  I am Installing from the hard drive still yields the same error statement and result.  This is the deluxe version from Costco from the link provided through that transaction.

hard drive and memory are not the same thing.....

pull up the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and see what is consuming your memory,,,

Which Windows version?

2gb is really not enough for modern Windows.

4 is the min and 6 or 8 is recommend.

You might try to increase the page file size to  2GB.

Carl
Level 15

Actually, you need 2GB of "available" memory. But if you've got 15Gb of RAM installed now, this should not be an issue.

What version of Windows  are you on? I'm on Windows 10 version 20H2 myself.

From an administrative command prompt try an online system cleanup. The command is:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reboot when done. Note the process can take 10 minutes or more.

dt78
Level 2

Thanks Carl, that is a long way from recommended 2GB to required >2GB of free memory.  This is the same system that has run turbotax for years for me and it is the only windows system I own.  Windows 10 Home, Version 1909.

dt78
Level 2

Thanks @NCperson, each thread needs a worst and least helpful response, so yours has officially filled that spot..... thanks..... for.........0.0

dt78
Level 2

It appears clear that the verbiage for the product this year needs to be updated to reflect reality of:

1. >2GB Available or Free Memory REQUIRED

2. Removal of false 'recommended' verbiage from products and web materials

Are there any versions that are less than 2GB of required AVAILABLE memory for download as I have a degree of confidence that your development and management teams may have underestimated this population, which my system falls into.  This is the first time that it has been an issue with any software including years of both turbotax personal and business and I am sure others will have this same problem.

If not, then I think it is time to escalate to the management team in Carmel Valley to resolve this issue and get one published.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem, will not install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB).  I have plenty of HD space.vvI shut down the antivirus, all unneeded programs at startup, expanded the page file, even booted into "safe mode" and still cannot install the due to the same insufficient memory limit.  Note I have 10 years of TTax Deluxe/H&B installed so all those installed just fine.  Intuit:  is there an "install switch/parameter" that can be used when installing so that they installer bypasses this problematic, non-working restriction?  Please respond and be specific.  (Note:  I am NOT going to go out and buy a new computer just to install "this year's/2020 turbotax.)  Thank you in advance for a direct and specific response.

i am not a computer expert but it may be that some of your memory is being used by other programs.  some programs are what is referred to as TSR (terminate and stay resident) in memory thus making much less than the 2GB needed available. even if you do get it to install, it might crash during use due to insufficient memory.  I know of no switch or parameter that can be set to bypass this issue.  i assume you can't upgrade the memory. I'm surprised that there is only 2gb on a win 10 operating system

contact support and see if they can help. 

@dt78 -  won't using the online version solve the problem? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies