Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

i downloaded window 10 from microsoft and bought the turbotax software 2020  and downloaded to my computer and now i cant run it due to not enough memory to be 2GB HOW do i need to do that increase memory please help

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

Sounds like you don't have enough memory to run the WIN 10 program so seek local professional assistance with your hardware situation.  

orsoon64

On the control panel system page(?) it will say 2gb and it will also say 1.8 or 1.6gb usable. I agree that intuit should take responsibility for their documentation that is not helpful.

It should have said 2gb machines will not be enough.  (tell people their 2gb machine will need to be replaced)

felixmcnulty
Returning Member

I had this same issue which is very annoying.   In my case I already had TT 2020 installed and running fine.  I only bumped into this issue when I went to do one final online update before filing the final return.   The updater function bombed out with a MS installer error and when I tried to download the manual update from TT site, that's where I got tripped up with this memory message.   I called TT support phone and their only response was my computer was too old. 

Anyway, my workaround was to uninstall TT, then re-install from CD.  (I'm old school and like the "security" of having the CD on hand).    After re-install TT launched fine as expected, I did the online update which also worked fine, and all is well.    The tax file I had been working on was intact, including the fact that I had already paid for the state return filing.   I was able to complete the file transmit.   I wish I didn't have to piss away so many hours struggling to make it work.  

I hope this might help someone.

Cheers!

DLM
Returning Member

So they do this so we will buy the online version - better luck next time.  Bad business model to create inaccurate errors to suit TT own purposes.  Not impressed.  I have plenty of memory and still keep getting this message.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I do not understand your statement.  If you have a question, pleae reach out again with more details so that we can appropriately assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
felixmcnulty
Returning Member

@Cynthiad66   The issue is clear if you read other posts in this thread.  Users including myself tried installing TT 2020 (in my case it's Home&Biz edition) and get a message from the installer that your PC does not meet minimum memory requirements (2048MB).   Mine has 4GB and I already had TT installed and running on my same computer.  Only when I tried to check for / install the latest online updates did I encounter the problem.  Other users in this thread say they had much more than 2GB RAM - I think one guy said he has 16GB.  In my case I was sure to shut down all other apps, including browser etc. before doing the install.  I also ran memory diagnostic to ensure that my memory is all functional.

Quantkid

@felixmcnulty

You are my savior.  After banging my head against my PC for hours with exactly the problem you describe, I was all set to try to use my MacBook, only to find that I couldn't download the Mac version because I had already downloaded the Windows version.  Like you, I am old-fashioned and keep the CDs even though I had to dig out an external drive that I bought 2 years ago and hadn't ever opened.  What you did worked for me too.

Thanks!!!

lrtefft

I purchased the business turbo tax software. I am receiving the same error message. I did all of these steps and I am still having a problem. My system has 2 GB, 1.87 useable. its a notebook, running Windows Home which I just updated. it does not have a cd rom so having a disc would do me no good, 

@lrtefft wrote:

I purchased the business turbo tax software. I am receiving the same error message. I did all of these steps and I am still having a problem. My system has 2 GB, 1.87 useable. its a notebook, running Windows Home which I just updated. it does not have a cd rom so having a disc would do me no good, 

If you don't get any suggestions in the forum, here's how to phone Customer Support:

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

rojosan

Et al, 

Not sure if this issue has been resolved by Intuit (Was very disappointed in their response to our situation), but I did find a solution for me and I hope it works for you all.

First, I too was receiving the dreaded "Sorry, you are screwed..." message.

< I had 468GB or free disk space and 8.70GB of free memory (According to the my MooO-SystemMonitor 1.76 tool).

< I read this blog and ,to honest, tested a few of the suggestions - Like updating my Windows 7 OS to Windows 10 (Which really turned out to be VERY easy following the steps explained in - It was extremly well done : 

=< How to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for FREE in 2021

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTKBVPd594 

Sorry to say, that the upgrade to Windows 10 did not resolve the problem.

After some hours of web searching, and based on something that was noted in a blog that I ran across, I decided to purchase the downloadable version from Intuit's web site = THIS worked; I downloaded the Windows version, which I suspect may  have been the problem as the CD that I purchased was for both Windows AND the Mac (I spit on Mac's)

Here is some other good news.

< I purchased the CD copy of the 2020 from Costco and it had a valid TT license - This allowed me to download the 2020 software at no cost - THIS WAS GREAT!!! As I was prepared to pay for another copy and then "raised the roof" with Intuit for their poor support of this issue.

Suggestion: If possible, purchase the copy using our AmEx (Or any credit card that offers the feature of declining a purchase and have them investigate the situation; which is what I was prepared to do... very pleased that I did not have to go down that path.

< The goal here is to have a path to make Inuit accountable for their lack of support on their product.

Any way, sorry for the "War and Peace"... and I hope this helps.

Chow

GillisR60

My CD gets about half through installing Turbotax and stops  Says not enough memory  I have removed a old Turbo tax program and other pictures and programs.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have removed old programs and pictures you will want to make sure to reboot your system after. You will also want to double-check that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for your TurboTax software.

If your system is good to go and you are still having issues, please see Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows for additional troubleshooting steps.

@GillisR60

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JOne420

Got TurboTax to INSTALL!!

I also was very frustrated like many others while trying to install and received a message stating my pc did not have sufficient memory when i knew i definitely did. After researching the problem online and finding no successful answers, I began to troubleshoot myself with some other ideas and was surprisingly successful almost instantly. This is for TurboTax Basic 2020 edition purchased download link with activation code from Amazon:

After download saves to destination (usually a downloads folder or desktop)
Move the installation file to your Network Drive -> any folder
Start installation from there and should work seamlessly without error message.

**See Photo for clarity**

Untitled.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies