Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

Well Mike, I knew all that, and did all that, too.  "Ending high memory use tasks" via "Task Manager".  I had 1.8GB of RAM available.  TTax should be able install in that, as it did each of the last 10 years.  FYI, it's an ASUS Netbook and you're right, the RAM cannot be upgraded.  FYI also, Win 10 installs just fine in 2GB RAM, and meets their "min memory requirement" for the 64-bit version.  See below.  This is yet another clear TTax bad programming problem.  There's plenty of unused "pagefile space".  My suggestion:  "use it".

The system requirements for Windows 10 are fairly modest. Here are the minimum requirements for Windows 10:

• Processor: 1 GHz (or higher)
  • RAM: 1 GB for 32 bit OS or 2 GB for 64 bit OS
  • Free space: 16 GB hard disk space (or more)
  • Graphics card: The Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics with the WDDM driver
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbotax won't install due to Memory not meeting requirements (2048MB). My system has 2GB and all information states that this is a recommendation. How to install?

I don't use the Cloud, or keep any personal data in it.  I would make the same recommendation to any client. 

Here's what worked for me.  From your install directory, open the "turbotax 2020" directory.  Now run "turbotax 2020 installer.exe".  The install started without issue, completed as it should.

I surmise the setup.exe requires the 2gb minimum before poceeding to "turbotax 2020 installer.exe".  My hp envy x10 has the atom 32gb processor with soldered in 2gb ram and win10.  Hopefully, it will install on your similar notebook.

Foxtrot860
Returning Member

I'm getting the same thing.  I have 11Gb RAM free and HDD space out the wazoo.  I am running Windows 10 Home (10.0.19041 Build 19041).  How do I get around this?  Disabled/exited everything in my tray bar.  Still a no go!  Last years TT Deluxe loaded w/o issue.

Foxtrot860
Returning Member

I just tried to run the installer directly, now I get that my D:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2020 path is an "Invalid Installation Path" and to make sure that I have write access to it!  I just copied all the files from the installation disk and am running the installer from that location.  What, am I now forced to load to my C: drive, where I absolutely don't want it?  Any other suggestions?

Sorry ... but if you don't put it on the C drive where the updates will find it the program will be useless.  

Foxtrot860
Returning Member

It would be really great of that would state that in stead of just "Invalid Path".  I hate clogging up my SSD boot drive with unnecessary (non-operating system) programs that could reside on another drive.  OK, thanks.

Carl
Level 15

There's a way around that, so that you can still install it on the D: drive.

- Create a directory on the C: drive ca;;ed "D". (I.e., the folder path will be "C:\D"

- In Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Mangement, right click the D: drive, select Change Drive Letters & Paths and remove the drive letter from the drive.

- Right click the D: drive again, select Change Drive Letters & Paths and select Mount in the Following Empty NTFS folder.

- Click the Browse button, navigate to and selec the C:\D folder and click OK.

- Click OK again to close the mounting dialog box, and you're done.

- As for as your operating system is concerned, there is no physical "D" drive. Everything on your D: drive is now located in the C:\D folder.

You can now install the TurboTax program in the C:\D\Program Files (x86) directory.

-

BazB
Level 1

So what is the answer for those of us who have faithfully been using Turbo Tax Deluxe for years, and are now getting this "Sorry but your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Memory (2048MB)" crap. I don't want to mess with creating a new drive. I'm not going to buy a new computer just for Turbo Tax. They really need to address this problem. I'm pissed.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Online is available for filing your taxes too. The minimum system requirements are different.

Please review the requirements below.

TurboTax Online system requirements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue. I have used the same machine for years to do my taxes with TurboTax, and there has never been a problem. The stated RAM requirements for the 2019 and 2020 versions are identical, yet I am unable to install the 2020 version.

[Comment edited to reflect the TurboTax representative's helpful comments on how to apply for a refund if forced to switch to TurboTax Online.]

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct that 2 GB of RAM is the minimum recommended amount. The Operating Systems itself must be Windows 8 or later. These upgrades are for identity and security protections.

Click the link for a full list of the minimum requirements for the CD/Download.

You must only pay for the program once, even if switching from CD/Download to Online.

• To return your TurboTax software, complete this form.
  • If you purchased your software but would like to switch to TurboTax Online, follow these instructions.

For more information, see: How do I switch from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online?

@Required

Can’t install software due to not enough memory

DedeWFB

Having same 2048MB memory issue as other posts.  (even though I have 18Gb free) Could not download it or use the CD I bought onto the PC that I have used for last 8 years.  I could, however, download onto my Mac.  But is there a way to transfer my 1st year returns that I prepared with Turbotax so I don't have to start from scratch again? 

@DedeWFB wrote:

Having same 2048MB memory issue as other posts. (even though I have 18Gb free) Could not download it or use the CD I bought onto the PC that I have used for last 8 years. I could, however, download onto my Mac. But is there a way to transfer my 1st year returns that I prepared with Turbotax so I don't have to start from scratch again?

So will you be using your Mac to prepare your 2020 return?  And your prior *.taxYYYY data files are located on your Windows PC?    I'm not sure what you mean "transfer my 1st year returns"...    We don't know what "1st year" means.    Are you simply asking how to copy/move the prior *.taxYYYY data files from one computer to a different computer; i.e., from the PC to the Mac?  I'll tell you the safe way to do that below.   I'll also tell you how to transfer the data from your 2019 data file into your 2020 return.

Are you wanting to transfer the prior data from your *.tax2019 data file into your 2020 return?  If so, then yes, that can be done on a Mac.  You'd first have to copy/move the *.tax2019 data file from the PC over to the Mac using a thumb drive, external drive, or other external media, such as CD-R/RW.    Whatever you do, do NOT email it to yourself, which is NOT a secure method for such sensitive information.

When you place the 2019 data file on your Mac make note of its location.

See this:

FAQ:  How do I move my tax data file to another computer?

Once the *.tax2019 data file has been moved to the Mac, here's how to transfer the 2019 data into a new 2020 return:

FAQ: How do I transfer last year's return into the TurboTax for Mac Software? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies