Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

@JohnBank1   If you are in New York and use the Desktop program,  it is FREE to efile NY!  But that is the only state that's free.  But anyway it is too late to efile any 2021 or prior returns now.  And if you owe tax the IRS or state they will cash your check right away when they get it, not just when they process your return.

There is nothing misleading ... all you need to do is read the product envelope ...  either on the TT website, on amazon or on the CD box itself (on the front & back)... it clearly says you get 5 fed efiles and a state program... efile of state is extra. 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4 .jpg

For anyone finding this thread.........Be careful when paying the state efile fee.  Try to pay it with a credit card or it will also charge you an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California) to have it deducted from a federal refund.  So pay attention and go slow and read the screens and watch what you click on.   There is one screen that can trip you up.

It is $20 to efile each state return in the Desktop CD/Download program.  Except New York is free.  See

TurboTax Desktop & TurboTax Advantage 2022-2023 Prices

Looks like NY State has a mandate to e-file.  h ttps://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

What you need to know about the e-file mandate:

• The cost of tax preparation software always includes the e-filing service; New York State law prohibits additional charges.    << And there is your answer folks.  The end....

Bought turbotax with5 free fed&amp; 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

Thanks for reiterating and highlighting the "software download e-file extra parts"  But here is the answer I was looking for.  It took a while to find it but there is so much marketing hype by Turbotax. Here is the link for 2022:  h ttps://turbotax.intuit.com/desktop-pricing/

State e-file fees do not apply to New York state returns.  

E-file fees for each state return
$20

Bought turbotax with5 free fed&amp; 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

visit the NY website to find the mailing address for a paper NY State tax return. It is prominently displayed.

There is no penalty for that.

NY law prohibits TurboTax from charging you an e-File fee for NY tax filers.

@JohnBank1 

New York does an effective job of scaring people into believing the only way to file is by e-filing, but that is not the case.  You CAN file in New York by mail.

New York prefers e-filed returns, but there are certain circumstances that make it necessary for you to file your NY return by mail and the state DOES allow mailed returns.    If you could not or did not e-file your federal return then your NY return cannot be e-filed.   It has to be mailed.   It is not possible to e-file any state return if the federal return was not e-filed and accepted by the IRS.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

this is the first return and turbo tax wants to charge me $40 for the state return ling but am being charged to file state return,

this is what i puchased i am ready to do my state return and the software is taking me to the online store to purchase the state software for $40 

i need this resolved as soon as possible

@msmith2450 Did you purchase the CD/download with state software included?   Some versions of Deluxe come with state software and some are sold without state software when you purchase it from a retailer.  So ----look and see what you purchased.

And....the other thing.....

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Charged  for 2 State taxes when one was suppose to be free.

phone calls never get answered or returned 

jan

@jankillingsworth 

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is always---always--always  an extra fee to e-file the state. Before March 1 that fee is $20; after March 1 it increases to $25.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

Celtic1001
Returning Member

Buyer beware, if you file federal and state tax returns and federal gets rejected , for what should have been caught by TurboTax you will be charged an additional 20.000 fee to refile.!!!!!!!!

I will probably never use this product again

Thud
Level 2

HOWEVER YOUR AD IN AMAZON SAYS "Includes 5 Federal e-files and 1 State via download"   which is very misleading!     I just got this quote from Amazon webpage where I bought my 2022 TurboTax.   Later in the text the add says "State e-file sold separately. "    FIX YOUR MISLEADING AD IN AMAZON.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies