turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

Why is it asking for $44.99 to download the state?

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

@llkeebs wrote:

Why is it asking for $44.99 to download the state?

Did you not read my prior response? -

Where did you purchase the CD?  The TurboTax retail Deluxe edition comes in two different versions.  One with and one without the state program download included in the purchase price.  Look at the box and if just has Deluxe Federal Returns on the front of the box the state program is not included.  If it has Deluxe Federal Returns and State Returns then the state program is included.

If you purchased the Deluxe edition that does not have the state program included in the purchase price, then you will have to pay $44.99 for the state program.

I'd still say it's misleading advertising... before I bought desktop version I read through all the small print because I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any surprise fees at the end. I was very frustrated and saddened to see that they suddenly ask for payment for E-filing state. The only indication they give is a very passive "5 Fed\1 state download and free Fed E-file" statement. They need to be upfront with their pricing and at least give a notice in the their details section if not right up front with what's included.

I'm very displeased with this style of marketing tactic as it feels shady and deceptive.

"1 state download and free Fed E-file" statement"   What part of that is not clear?   It says nothing about a state e-file.

As long as e-file has existed, e-fileing state has ALWAYS been extra.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

That's not true.  They always allowed 1 free state e-filing in their previous versions.  The deluxe, not the basic.  5 people could file federal, but only one could do a state.  Been buying this product for years.  Now I just use the free edition on the irs.gov site.  The company is not what it used to be  -- that's for sure!

jethro00
Returning Member

This is garbage. e-filing is easier. WHY ARE WE BEING PENALIZED NOW??????

jethro00
Returning Member

Mine was $25.00.

jethro00
Returning Member

Agreed. Last year filing Turbo Tax.

garyr2

Turbo Tax tries to entice you with "free" state returns but then charges $25 to file. What a rip off. Why not be truthful and just say up front what you are going to do. Then, when I try to print my state, the program freezes up. 

free is legit since there is no requirement to e-file. 

Spike5
Returning Member

I get a free return with my delux purchase. Why am I being billed again?

How much?  There is a $25 fee to efile a state return from the Desktop program.  In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is $20 to efile, usually goes up to $25 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

i am being charged to efile the federal

There is a charge to prepare federal in Online Deluxe and above.  What version do you have?

How to review your fees
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

For help with fees
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/00/26051

Turbotax has already been sued for the practice of misleading customers into thinking they can file one free state return.  I think it is ridiculous that Intuit continues to mislead.  You are already making a chunk of money from our purchase.  This will be the last year I use your misleading company.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies