Solved: Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

i always buy the download that includes five free e files and one state. I have never been charged for the state until now, and i have filed this way since 2011 or earlier! Is  it possible because they didn't owe before until this year?

The version of TurboTax you're using allows you to prepare and print one state return at no charge. There is an additional fee if you wish to e-file your state return.

I get that, but every year prior i e filed state w fed in Missouri and was never charged. They also did not owe but it was e filed free!

You can print the state return and mail it to avoid the e-file fee.

You might have had the state efile fee deducted from the federal refunds.

thx guys i might just be going crazy lol

Turbo Tax maid me happy all the way until this final step for tricky advertisement without clearly telling customer upfront. Hate this company

I also usually get the 1 free efile for state but for some reason turbo tax is charging the 19.99 for any state refile. Too bad....

You misunderstand.  See my answer below.  Or did you file a New York return?

One more negative thing about Turbo Tax, I chose state E-file, paid $39.99, then Turbo Tax told me California e-file is not ready yet, ask me to come back, one week late, I came back, the system did not remember that I have paid, ask me to pay for $19.99 again to E-file state tax, I did not pay for it, then called customer service, the agent tried to figure out why but couldn't and it took us one hour! Then she said she will transfer me to her supervisor, then I waited on the phone for another half hour, I lost my patience, my time worth more then $19.99/1.5 hour, so I hang up, and paid for that $19.99. What a bad company!

Yep this is the first year I didn't get 1 free state efile

Turbo Tax has false advertising . No where do they say free state if you mail!  The system is full of glitches, and made filing very stressful this year! I've used Turbo Tax for over 15 years not next year. I will try someone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could file state tax for free electronically with Pennsylvania, what a rip off! What I paid for software then to file state tax I could have went to my accountant!

Sorry but you must not be remembering right.  There has always been a fee to efile state from the Desktop program except for NY.

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state (including the first one) is 19.99 or 24.99 to efile. If you buy the cd at the store the Basic version does not include the state.  And Deluxe is available both with and without the state.  Because some states don't have an income tax.

thank you for your answer but I do believe I remember not paying that is why i am surprised to see 19.99 to file it. i have the home and business version like I get every year

Maybe you printed an mailed State.  Or Look back through your credit card statements.