turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the sa

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the sa

Thanks for using TurboTax,

If your saying your return was rejected due to a duplicate ssn, then you must call the IRS. Go to this link http://www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft.  That rejection means someone else has used your information.

Solution

Please double check all Social Security numbers in your return against everybody's Social Security card. You can do this by clicking the Personal Info tab and going through these screens again.

• If you come across any mistyped entries, correct them and then try e-filing again.
  • Otherwise, if you verified that all Social Security numbers are correct, contact us and one of our representatives will assist you.

Related FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300195
Hope this helps.

But the IRS is not rejecting it, Turbo Tax is.   A formal rejection is an IRS determination sending the return back along with an error code and that's not what's going on with this message.   It's an internal messages given to the customer, not by the IRS.   Very strange.

No this doesn't help. I tried to contact Turbo Tax using the link you provided, and all I get is phone bot telling me to upgrade to get a live agent. So basically if you don't upgrade, you can get support for this issue and all the time spent on Turbo Tax is wasted? Is this duplicate SSN thing your new strategy to force people to upgrade and make money?

Just filed tax online through H&R Block and had no issue. This is entirely Turbo Tax's problem, not an identity theft.

When My "Recovery Check" did not arrive as fast as some I was directed to go here and send this to the IRS so they would have current access to my Bank info to send me a "Recovery Check/ Economic Impact Payment". Now I can't fille as your program says I already filed when I did not.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-fi[product key removed]nt-info-here

Who should use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here to provide additional information to receive the Economic Impact Payment?

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you did a non-filers submission, that was a return for 2019 which blocks filing your normal 1040.  The IRS is aware that many taxpayers messed up and is considering coming up with a method to allow taxpayers in this situation to still e-file. When and if the IRS will follow through is unknown at this time.   you could extend your return to 10/15/2020 to see if they do but any balance due must be paid by 7/15/2020.   If you are due a refund, there's no telling if waiting till the due date and e-filing (if possible) will get your refund any faster then mailing in your return now.  

I know that no one else is using our socials to file taxes. Both my husband and I (married filing separately) got this exact same issue. First time with turbotax we had to mail in both our federal and state returns. This is definitely a turbotax issue. And if this happens next year I'll be using another company. Very annoying!

I called the IRS.
They said that when using the "NonFilers" form to update my bank info, I effectively file a return according to teh IRS system info. Even though I did not. They admitted a glitch in this case. 

But I still had to fill out and mail in the required forms along with my payment.
Hope it all works out as they have not cashed the check yet.
So I think this is an IRS issue that Turbo Tax is not handling properly.

HAPPY TAX day everyone

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

If you file your return with a Form 1040X it will be processed like an amended return. 

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.

Right now the IRS is slowly processing paper returns, but there will be no way for your to efile, so this is your only option.  Be prepared for a longer than usual processing time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Young Q

I just filed today and submitted and it said that im so mad someone filed my taxes before me and got my return and stimulus 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To get your refund and any eligible stimulus payments that have not already been sent, do the following things:

1. Print and mail your tax return by midnight, May 17, 2021. See: How do I switch from "E-File" to "File by Mail" in TurboTax Online?
    1. If you need more time to finish the tax return, to avoid penalties and interest for failing to file and/or failing to pay, then file an extension by midnight, May 17, 2021. See: How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868)?
    2. If you owe taxes, they must be either paid or a payment plan set up by midnight, May 17, 2021.
      1. How can I pay my federal taxes?
      2. What if I can't pay my taxes?
  2. Protect your identity
    1. Follow the steps here: What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft
      1. Get An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN).

1. ​​​​​​​See: What's an IP PIN? Do I need one?

2. It would be in your best interest to contact all three of the major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit records. (see Publication 5027, Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers for direct links that will help).

@Young Q

For more information, see:

What to Do if Someone Has Already Filed Taxes Using Your Social Security Number - TurboTax Tax Tips ...

Nope, this was Intuit/TurboTax's error. The SS#s were not in error, no one else submitted my tax return before I did (really? using our DOBs, two IRS security PINS, etc).  Nope, this was an Intuit e-file bug, pure and simple.

When I first tried to e-file, three items were selected to e-file: my Federal form, MN State form, and the MN Property Tax Refund. Ok, fine. I went ahead and tried to file all three at once. Nope.

Apparently that was the mistake which caused the bogus "Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same SS# has already been submitted..." error being shown twice. Yup, the full error message was shown twice. Quite odd.

Later, after sifting through these mostly-unhelpful responses and blind-alley referrals to blank Intuit search boxes, I decided to just try it again.  This time the MN State Property Tax Refund was shown as already e-filed. Really? I thought all three failed to file.  Good.

When I submitted the Fed and MN State returns, it filed in about 20 seconds with "Transmission Confirmation" even though I had not changed anything else on my tax returns. So, not my problem.

The state Income tax return can be filed with the federal or after the federal has been efiled successfully  however the Property tax return is not subject to the same rules  thus when you filed and the fed was rejected then the state was not sent  but the property tax return was allowed to go thru ... this is normal.  

As for the SS# rejection ... when the return is sent to the IRS it checks using the first 4 letters of your last name, year of birth and SS#  and they are the ones who rejects the return not TT.  It is possible that someone else filed using your info ...    Just to let you know how easy this mistake can happen here is a true story ... the IRS only looks at the first 4 letters of your last name, year of birth and the SS# ... my client gave me the wrong SS# (off by one digit)for his child and the dependent was rejected (already filed)  ... we fixed the incorrect SS# and they were accepted ... but this means that someone with the same first 4 letters of their last name,  year of birth and the SS# (that was off by only one digit) filed before my client ... if we had filed first with the wrong # then that other person would have gotten the "already filed" notice ... so innocent mistakes can happen ....

Start by double-checking your Social Security number in TurboTax. If it's wrong, correct it and then resubmit your return. If you entered it correctly then...

Next check to see if you accidentally filed yourself by mistake earlier:

Check Your E-File Status on this Secure TurboTax website
https://turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp
- It will show the date you transmitted your return and if it was accepted or rejected.  
- Both your Federal and State will be listed separately if you filed both.
- It will tell you when you E-filed
- The electronic filing date

Then if it wasn't you: 

Then it's likely that another taxpayer, inadvertently or otherwise, filed their return using your Social Security number.

You won't be able to fix this rejection; you'll need to file a paper return and attach a copy of the IRS form 14039 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

You "may" be the victim of tax-related identity theft.  Please see this TurboTax FAQ for information on how to proceed:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-tax-related-identity-theft

We strongly recommend that you call the IRS Identify Theft Hotline at 1-800-908-4490. You can also click here for additional information at IRS.gov.  http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Indications-your-identity-may-have-been-stolen-and-how-to-report-it-t...

meg99

The ss number was used by his mother who is not supposed to claim him this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies