What if I can't pay my taxes? - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Intuit

What if I can't pay my taxes?

The federal tax filing deadline for tax year 2019 has been extended to July 15, 2020, due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Go here for more information about how taxes have been affected.

We're in your corner to help you navigate your taxes this year. Here are the steps you can take now to improve your situation.

1. File your taxes by July 15

You are allowed to file your taxes without paying the tax you owe. If you send your tax return on time, you will avoid paying extra for filing late.

2. Pay some of the tax you owe

If you can afford to pay some, send it by July 15. The penalty for not paying your taxes depends on the total tax you owe. If you pay some now, the penalty will be smaller later.

You can make a partial payment with TurboTax. In the File section, select I will mail a check. If you choose to pay with your bank account or credit card, TurboTax will charge the total tax due.

3. Call the IRS and your state tax office

They will work with you to plan how to pay the rest of your tax. If you file your taxes before you call, the IRS might give you extra time or offer an installment plan.

Different ways to apply for an IRS installment plan

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post