TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
432 people found this useful

What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

The privacy and security of your tax information is as important to us as it is to you. We take these concerns very seriously.

If you believe you have been a victim of tax-related identity theft, please contact us right away.

You will also want to take the following steps:

  1. (Most important) Follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return, documented here: www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261.

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

  • Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

Additional Resources

The IRS has a host of useful information and resources on tax-related identity theft:

These sites can help you understand identity theft and how to protect yourself:

We're all vulnerable to this crime, but there are additional things you can do that will reduce your risk of becoming a victim.

  • If you file by mail, do it at a post office, not from an unlocked mailbox in front of your house.
  • If you file electronically, use a secure computer on a secure network.