turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So for some reason my personal addresss shows Italy for my state and I have gone to the both the easy step and forms side and cannot remove that data point

Turbo tax premire on mac - Error shows up on easy step address page and when I try to edit my address it is correct but when I close the edit page it still shows italy as my state
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

So for some reason my personal addresss shows Italy for my state and I have gone to the both the easy step and forms side and cannot remove that data point

@klkaylor 

I had an issue like this one year (the other way around though, where some USA data was showing in a foreign address)  on a Windows computer...so I'm not sure it will be the same on a MAC...but try it.

(ANNND, I'm assuming you are trying to enter a US mailing address now)

1)  First go to the Personal Info page where you enter your mailing address.

2) hit the Edit next to the mailing address and telephone number

3)  Change the top field to indicate a "Foreign Address".

4) Delete any entries in any boxes for the Foreign address, and in the country field pop-up, slide the selection to the very top where it is a blank.

5)  Now change the Address selection box to the "U.S. Address", and check (or re-enter) all the US address data again....Continue...and save the file.

6)  Check the to see if Italy is still displayed 

Can't know if this will work or not, but it's what I had to do a couple years ago.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks - Gave that a try - no help but a good idea

I did go from easy step to form and "Italy" is in black - not blue - on the Federal Information Worksheet  and I can't remove it there - a box appears but it does not allow me to remove or edit

Double clicking on that data field does not take me to another form

I did try checking the foreign address box - when I do that all of the fields turn yellow to allow filling in the complete address except the foreign country box/line and I still cannot edit.

My guess it is being populated from some other form just cant find it 

Still looking for a solution as I would guess that I cant efile with this error uncorrected

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed successfully … you can shut off the auto updater function and then save the return &  .taxfile.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

I do a lot in forms mode - this information is great to have

So based on the fact that "Italy" is in black then the program entered the data so the question now is from what other form?

@klkaylor 

Might need to find one of the MAC users to check the editability of this entry.   On my Windows system, the Foreign Country entry is fully editable in Forms Mode.

@xmasbaby0     @VolvoGirl    I think one of you uses a MAC....any help you can give on this?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@macuser_22  Do you have an idea ? 

So that is interesting - when in forms mode on the personal information worksheet - if I check the box asking for a foreign address - the address, city, and foreign code lines/blocks are highlighted yellow, foreign country has Italy in black and the foreign province/county and foreign postal codes are not highlighted in yellow. I can edit all yellow highlighted boxes, cannot edit "Italy" in the country box, and while black outlined boxes appear when I click on foreign province/country and foreign postal code line I cannot type in those boxes. Based on early information on this thread those then are data points from other forms? Which form?

Is this a coding error, an error in loading my copy of the program or a error in my tax data file? 

Should I remove and re- load the program saving my data file? 

A reload may not be a bad idea ... TT support would request you do the same thing if you called them. 

@klkaylor 

I'm not sure I'd reload yet.  Try to wait for one of the MAC users to respond today.

I suspect that this is just one of the differences between how the Windows programmers formatted those fields, vs how the MAC programmers did it.   One of our MAC expert users/CHAMPS may be able to find where it came from.   Those of us using Windows can't really bore into a subtle programming difference like this.  (unless it truly is a bug/corruption of your MAC software)

Are we sure that OP is using TT desktop? The logo in the question says Online.

It is a desktop version

Intel Mac Big Sur 11.6

Turbo Tax premier - 2021 - updated yesterday via auto update upon opening

Sorry for the confusion

So given the best solution is to delete and reload the program - do you have techniques other that making a back up file of the data and then just dragging the program to the trash?

I searched the help file and as expected no great help on deleting the program

@klkaylor wrote:

It is a desktop version

Intel Mac Big Sur 11.6

Turbo Tax premier - 2021 - updated yesterday via auto update upon opening

Sorry for the confusion

So given the best solution is to delete and reload the program - do you have techniques other that making a back up file of the data and then just dragging the program to the trash?

I searched the help file and as expected no great help on deleting the program

Rarely will deleting the application itself will solve the problem.   Thee are many other files that must be deleted.    When reinstalling be sure to get  fresh download of the application.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you all for your help

Getting ready to go through the steps to delete and reinstall but checked for an update today and there was one. Downloaded/quit/restarted and was able to clean up the address issue and passed review for filing. 

Problem solved but thanks again for everyone.  Not sure what the exact problem was but... done is done

Jingliu99

I ran into the same issue, couldn't edit. can't e-file. very frustrated.  Please Turbotax, can you fix it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies