turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule 8812

@philipprice1784 wrote:

Why is Turbo Tax requiring Schedule 8812 when we have no dependents and have listed none?

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Schedule 8812

that's the question, isn't it?  this thread contains a work-around but not a good solution because, IMO, the TT interview needs to be adjusted.

Schedule 8812

Thx.   I put in the zeros and then TT no longer found any errors.  Then I went to Forms and deleted it and TT didn't find any errors.

Schedule 8812

Thanks

Schedule 8812

Thanks

Schedule 8812

As others have already indicated, the program needs to be amended to force the Child Tax
Credit question to be asked of ALL filers.  This would solve the problem.

Schedule 8812

Dawn C's input of Feb 3, 2022 at 4:26PM solved the problem for me.  Unfortunately, the 2021 program has a bug in it that can be avoided if you pretend (as a workaround to bug) that you have kids and go through the line of questioning about Child Tax Credit.  This is an oversight by the TT2021 programmers, but is easily overcome by taking the method Dawn C suggests.  I thank Dawn C!!

TT/Intuit should really address this easily avoided confusion!

Schedule 8812

This worked perfectly.

Schedule 8812

Thank you for the help.  One would think by now, 3/26/22 Turbo Tax would have fixed this problem.  I am filing single/window 74 years old and it assumes I have a dependent to support.  Thanks again for your help.  Once I was able to get to the right page it went really smooth.  Your directions were simple.  Thank you.  Dayle

tomfelk
Returning Member

Schedule 8812

I have same problem as MPalm 1

Schedule 8812

Every person filing a tax return for 2021 is required to complete this form whether they have a dependent or not.

This is to confirm that you did not receive any Advance Child Tax Credit 

• In the Federal section of your return, go to Deductions & Credits
  • Scroll down to You and Your Family and click Revisit/Start next to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  • Click Continue
  • Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  • Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?

Schedule 8812

Why is Turbo Tax generating a schedule 8812 for my return.  It does not apply and I can't get rid of it.  Aggravating!!!  Help ASAP PLEASE.

Schedule 8812

@wellbeing88 wrote:

Why is Turbo Tax generating a schedule 8812 for my return.  It does not apply and I can't get rid of it.  Aggravating!!!  Help ASAP PLEASE.

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Schedule 8812

I tried all the suggestions listed, deleting 8812, removing my adult son , changing my status to single, saving each time.. and still it would bring back 8812 and not let me efile.  Seems like a lot of people are having this problem

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Schedule 8812

Go through the questions.   If you did not receive advance payments, enter 0 for the amount you received and the number of children you received payment for.    Go back and fix your filing status and add your dependents if you are qualified to claim them though.    Everyone has to answer those questions, whether or not you received any advance Child Tax Credit payments.

Child Tax Credit Center

@jfreeney 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies