Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return being rejected because of AGI, but I filed 1040X

I've had my 2019 return be rejected twice now claiming the AGI is incorrect. I filed a 1040X last year and I have verified several times that my AGI is correct. I checked the IRS site to verify they confirmed my changes in my 1040X for 2018.

However, I'm wondering if the issue (that I still have to call the IRS about, but it's currently the weekend/about to be a holiday...) is that I never got my amended refund after it was completed last year and I believe that's supposed to be taxable if interest on the refund was accrued (which I assume some has since it's been a year and I haven't gotten my full return).

Is this the likely issue or am I missing something here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud. 

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040; or
  • You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies

You need to use the AGI from the original wrong 1040.

You need your 2018 AGI to efile 2019. The AGI is on 2018 1040 line 7.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

So it's asking for my AGI from 2018, would that count if the only 1040 I filed was for my wife and I filed her separately before realizing my mistake and filing us both joint (hence the amended return)? It's complaining about me, but the only form my name shows up on for 2018 is the 1040X

Then if you didn't file your own 1040 return (not the 1040X) your AGI is 0.

I just attempted submitting with my AGI as 0 (because I didn't file a 1040 last year, only the 1040X) and the return was still rejected for the same reason. I'm at a loss for what to do here...

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud. 

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040; or
  • You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

this is a chronic problem with turbo tax.  I have e filed 4 times and checked with the IRS each time my numbers are correct but it keeps getting rejected.  the state taxes never filed because the federal taxes were rejected.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this one issue.  there seems to be no way around it apparently it is a defect in the program.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I recommend using the instructions here as given above to print and mail your returns. 

TurboTax, HRBlock, and probably others are apparently not transmitting spouse info properly, resulting in rejection by the IRS.
After 4 rejectioons, I submitted the same info using another tax program, and my return was accepted right away.

ricebarry

I called the IRS and they said that it is your software that is rejecting the filing, not the IRS.  I've paid for the e-filing and it seems as if I should receive a refund since it would seem as if I won't be able to file my taxes electronically.  What a ripoff.  Like one poster mentioned, they used another software, and their filing was accepted.  When will you fix the errors?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

We don't charge an e-filing fee in TurboTax Online.

When you pay for TurboTax Online, you're charged a tax preparation service fee. The prep fee is charged whether you e-file or print your return.

If your tax return is rejected, you can either fix the rejection and try e-filing again or file a paper return instead.

Related Information:

@ricebarry

ricebarry

I've "fixed" my return every time, only for it to fail.  No response to the IRS's claim that it is your software preventing the e-filing and not the IRS itself?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If the return was rejected again, the error has not been fixed.    The IRS has total control over accepting or rejecting of tax returns.    There is a limit to the number of times a tax return can be rejected before it will be locked.   If you can not get your tax return electronically filed, I recommend using the instructions here as given above to print and mail your returns.  

alazar2
Returning Member

which other ta platform did you use 

I have to get out of this Turbo  thing

alazar2
Returning Member

which other another tax program did you use 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies