Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection Related to 8863

I have 3 W-2's and some educational 1098T deductions. Extremely simple tax return. I cannot figure out why the IRS keeps rejecting my return. It's basically the same return I have filed for the last 3 years.

It looks like there could have been an issue with me checking a box that said I received a 1098T the year before from one of the schools I attended. I unchecked that box and resubmitted. I'm still getting the error. Any ideas?

I have double checked the 1098T info. It was imported from my prior year's return. 

The text that is showing up in the TurboTax notification email is as follows:
/Return/ReturnData/IRS8863/StudentAndEducationalInstnGrp/EducationalInstitutionGroup/PriorYear1098TReceivedInd - This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

When I use the TurboTax tool to help fix the error, this is what it's saying:

Let's take a look at your return
Description of error:
This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

What needs to be done:
We have identified an issue related to 1098-T. We have made the correction and will have an Update available on 2/1/2020. Please run your tax return through Federal Review and re-transmit your return after that date. If you continue to have trouble please print your return out and file by mail.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

I would recommend that you try deleting all your form 1098T's and re-entering only the ones that are valid for 2019.

To delete the 1098T's, go to Tools/Tax Tools/Delete a Form and Delete 1098 T and 1098 T Wks (Worksheet) from Federal and State (if it appears there)

Re-enter the 1098 T's for any school to which you attended and/or paid tuition.

If your return gets rejected after that, you will need to print and mail your return.

The bottom of this Help article has more printing and mailing details.  Rejections and Printing and Mailing Tax Returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

15 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

I would recommend that you try deleting all your form 1098T's and re-entering only the ones that are valid for 2019.

To delete the 1098T's, go to Tools/Tax Tools/Delete a Form and Delete 1098 T and 1098 T Wks (Worksheet) from Federal and State (if it appears there)

Re-enter the 1098 T's for any school to which you attended and/or paid tuition.

If your return gets rejected after that, you will need to print and mail your return.

The bottom of this Help article has more printing and mailing details.  Rejections and Printing and Mailing Tax Returns

Removing and re-adding my 1098T's took care of the problem. I was able to resubmit my return and it was accepted. Thanks!

jj71

I keep getting rejected return due to 8863 and have tried to make correction but doesn't tell me what the problems is other then I have to mail in return rather then e file.  However I paid Turbo Tax 24.95 to file the State return .  How do I get refunded since I cant e file due to this error

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@jj71

jj71, if you haven’t tried it already, try to delete Form 8863, and re-inputting your information.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?" for guidance.

I have deleted and re-entered my 1098-T, but the return is still getting rejected. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

What exactly does the reject say?  There is usually a code and other information.

Here's the email message. I do not see a code:

Return/ReturnData/IRS8863/StudentAndEducationalInstnGrp/EducationalInstitutionGroup/PriorYear1098TReceivedInd - This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

On the website, here's what it says:

Review information related to Form 8863, Education Credits. For each student on Form 8863 page 2, all three of the following fields are required: First Name, Last Name, and Social Security Number. For each educational institution, Name of Institution, and a complete US or Foreign Address are required. To be a valid US address, all address fields must be filled in; City must be at least one alpha character; State must be a valid 2 character state abbreviation; Zip Code must be a valid zip code for the state. To be a valid Foreign Address, Street Address and Country must be filled in. Ensure that either the Yes or No box is checked for both Current Year 1098-T Received and for Prior Year 1098-T Received. After reviewing and making any necessary changes, re-submit this return electronically. If the reject persists you will need to delete all 1098-T information, re-enter the 1098-T information and re-submit the return for electronic filing. If the reject persists you will need to print and file by mail.

I cleared my cache and cookies, deleted the 1098-T, resubmitted, and it was accepted.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax online edition, I would suggest you clear cache and cookies on your web browser.  Here are the steps: 

• Check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program. 
  • Clear your cache and sign back into the program.  To clear cache, click here: Cache
  • ou may also try a different browser.
  • And try again

Also, read the post from halsey1 above

@LainD

Verle

I need to have TurboTax help with my 2020 Oregon return that was rejected after e-filing. Email from turbotax states that when I reopen my state return, turbotax will help me correct it.

Verle

This reads like it was addressing someone else. I am looking for help with my 2020 Oregon return that I have already paid you to process and  was rejected. Your email from February 17, 2021 indicated that Turbotax would help me correct the error. 

Verle Belote

Verle

I do not have any 1028 T forms on any years taxes. I have been using Turbotax for 6 years now and have never had a Oregon State return rejected before. If you can't or won't help me with this, please return the money that I have paid for this service.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If your return was rejected, please follow the instructions here to correct a rejected return. 

We are unable to see the return here in this public forum. If you still need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

dcolucci13
Returning Member

I got this rejection information 

"F8863-528-03 - Each Student SSN that has a value on Form 8863, Line 21 must not be the same as that in another Form 8863 for the same tax year."

There is only one 8863 form so I dont know what the issue is.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies