turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stkarkula

Purchased Turbotax at Costco. Completed my taxes online. Ready to check out but I don't see anyway to enter License Code so I can be credited for my Costco Purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

144 Replies

Purchased Turbotax at Costco. Completed my taxes online. Ready to check out but I don't see anyway to enter License Code so I can be credited for my Costco Purchase?

Uh-oh.  Did you use Online TurboTax instead of the software you purchased from Costco?

The license code is only used to activate the installed software.  It can't be used to pay for Online TurboTax

Those are 2 different products with different features, abilities, and price structures.  They are not interchangeable.

There are essentially 3 options:

We can tell you how to download your *.tax2019 data file you started in Online TurboTax, so you can finish and file from your installed software you purchased without having to start over.

Another option would be to get a refund for the Costco purchase then pay for your Online return.

If Costco won't refund it, then TurboTax will refund it if it was purchased in the last 60 days as specified under their unconditional 60-day moneyback guarantee (applies to desktop software only).   There is an online refund request form you can use, if needed, that we can tell you about.

The third option:  If it's outside the 60-day window, or if you want to see if you can work something out with Support to see if they will let you proceed with Online TurboTax without paying, you'd have to talk to TurboTax Support to see if you can work something out.  We can tell you how.

We can tell you more when you decide which approach you want to take.

@ stkarkula 

I added another option to those in my original answer above.  You may been emailed the original answer with only 2 options, but I've added a third above.   We can give you more info when you report back with which of the 3 options you want to pursue.

mj2028

So is the license code the code on the box, is this the code JPM331368827.   I think we maybe talking about different things here.  I was on support the other day and they took my credit card number an charged my card for the state tax online.  I never received a code that it ask for?

No that doesn't look like the License Code.  The License Code is a 14 digit code on  paper inside the box.

Do you need it?  Here are a bunch of links I have saved....

What is a License Code and why do I need one?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-being-asked-for-a-license-code/01/872421

If you lost the Code Contact Customer Service 5am-9pm Pacific M-F

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Where is the License Code?  Main FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

FROM RETAILER

If you Downloaded from a retailer and can't find the License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/855903

If you have the Turbo Tax CD and can't find the License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/855902

FROM TURBO TAX

How to download Turbo Tax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

Find the License Code if you downloaded from Turbo Tax or the Advantage plan

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/855904

If you have the Turbo Tax CD and can't find the License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/855902

croger18

Hi how do we do the 3rd option? I purchased at costco in May but do not have the receipt and costco isnt taking returns anyways. I didnt realize when i purchased that i had to redo my taxes with software and i have a cromebook so its not compatible to download anyways. Thanks

Contact Customer Service

You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.   
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

if you want a refund you have to send the CD back with your refund request form within 60 days.

lsalmons

Purchased turbotax from amazon, completed taxes Saturday turbotax wants me to pay again. 

@lsalmons wrote:

Purchased turbotax from amazon, completed taxes Saturday turbotax wants me to pay again. 

The program you bought from Amazon was to download and install on your own computer.  Turbotax Online is a different product with different pricing structure.

You can download your online data file, open it in the program installed on your computer, and file that way.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Or you can pay to file online and then try to get a refund from Amazon. 

@lsalmons   Did you get the CD installed ok and entered the 14 digit License Code?  Or did you maybe end up using the Online version?  Was there a black menu bar on the left side or did the menus go across the  top in a Blue bar?  How much is it charging you?  In the Desktop program there is also a 24.99 fee to efile the state return or you can print and mail state for free.

I see people all the time that have bought the CD/Download Desktop Software but then somehow ending up using the Online version and didn't know it. If that happened to you, you can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info. 

To switch from online to desktop…..
Even before you pay for the online version you can switch to the desktop version and you won't have to re-enter your information. To continue in the desktop version see this…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

You need to download the .tax2019 file from online to your computer. But after you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Then you just OPEN your file, go up to FILE - OPEN. It should find your .tax2019 file or if it doesn't you can browse (using Find a Tax File) to where you saved it.

waynerob
Returning Member

This WAS VERY Annoying. Your product DOES NOT WORK with OSX!! How can the leading tax software provider not work with MAC? Furthermore, you do not make it easy to transfer the license to the online version. I purchased through Costco with email delivery for a Windows download. There were no options or indications at purchase. Even if there were, Intuit should make it easy to apply the license key to the online version. All I (and millions of others) want to do is license your product. How, after all these years, have you not solved this issue? I am going to post this complaint all over the internet if I don’t get quick remediation or a refund!

jgarr22

I'm having the same issue. I'm confused that if online turbotax and the software bought from Costa are two different things then why does the instructions on the Costco Turbotax Package say "sign in or create an account". It's prompting me to sign-in to an existing account. I already have an account with Turbotax from years past (online version). Does this mean I have to create a new account in order to download the software? 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact TurboTax support because we are unable to help you with this over the public forum.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ jgarr22 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I'm confused that if online turbotax and the software bought from Costa are two different things then why does the instructions on the Costco Turbotax Package say "sign in or create an account". It's prompting me to sign-in to an existing account. I already have an account with Turbotax from years past (online version). Does this mean I have to create a new account in order to download the software? 

EDITED for clarity 2/21/2020 at 4:30 PM Pacific   (also see additional clarifying comments which follow this answer.)

You may not have to contact Customer Support for this issue.   I think I can explain what you are experiencing.

First of all, you mentioned "download the software", so I assume you are wishing to download the software installation file instead of using the CD version--either for preference, or perhaps you don't have a CD drive, as is the case for many users.

Online TurboTax is a web version where one prepares a return through a browser; i.e., it's all done in the Cloud.   With the CD/download version you will not be using Online TurboTax.   If you purchased the desktop version (CD/download) and want a download instead of CD you will be downloading software to install on your computer.

The Costco desktop software purchase has nothing to do with the Online preparation version, but in order to get the download version to install on your computer,  you do have to sign in to your existing account when prompted (or create one if someone doesn't have one) since TurboTax has to place the download file in an account so you can access it now and for at least the next 3 years.    If you already have an account, then use the same account when prompted, and TurboTax will place the download file in the Downloads section of that existing account.

The instructions should be on the CD packet, or see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

Notice that step 2 in the FAQ says only to create a new account if you don't already have one.  So when it prompts you, log into your existing online account.    That does NOT start an online TurboTax return.   It tells TurboTax where to place the download.  As you go through the steps you should ultimately end up entering your license code and retrieving your software from the Downloads section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies