Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Purchased Turbotax at Costco. Completed my taxes online. Ready to check out but I don't see anyway to enter License Code so I can be credited for my Costco Purchase?

Is this still true in 2023 ???

A license code for a purchased copy of TurboTax can't be used by a family member to file on line, because the On-line version is a *different* product ?

i can't believe Intuit hasn't fixed this by now.  :(  :(

Purchased Turbotax at Costco. Completed my taxes online. Ready to check out but I don't see anyway to enter License Code so I can be credited for my Costco Purchase?

@robertbirch Yes that is still true.  The license code is only for the CD/download software.  It cannot be used to pay for using online TurboTax software.  The pricing structure for online is very different; they do not let you pay for online with the CD/download price.

If you purchased the CD/download ---- prepare returns for your family members using the software on your own computer.   You get up to five federal e-files and state returns --assuming you have a version with state software---will only cost $25 to e-file the states or file states for free by printing and mailing them.

But---your family members cannot "log on" to online accounts and pay for online TurboTax using your license code.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks xmasbaby0 !

While i can understand the on-line pricing model is different (simpler use-cases, lower cost, ...)  If i have already paid for a "Home & Business" license and have credit for up to 5 e-files -- what's wrong with saying that one or two of those credits are applied to my sons' e-files completed through your web site?  Really, their returns are so simple that it's hardly even worth the time to download and install a windows version on their computers.

@robertbirch

" what's wrong with saying that one or two of those credits are applied to my sons' e-files completed through your web site? " 

I am not a TT employee.  I do not make corporate policy.  I am a volunteer in the forum explaining to you how the pricing works.  And..you cannot use the license code to pay for online.  

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chopkns

Hi there,

How do I download my *.tax2022 data file before submitting it?

Thanks

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article for steps on how to download the data file.  

@chopkns 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did the same thing at Sams, purchased the product but forgot to go to the service desk to pick it up. I realized that after I started an online tax form. Hoping i can do one of the above suggestions

is there a way to completed remove the downloaded online version, that was erroneously started. Then start over, using the product code from the purchased CD?

ee-ea
Level 15

@joanneroeger 

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

You appear to be posting from online software instead of the desktop CD/download software that the license code is for.  If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Yes.   But I don't quite understand  what you mean....remove the downloaded online version?  Did you download the pdf of the Online return?  Did you file that one?  You can move your Online return to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to re-enter your info.   Starting in 2023 there are new buttons when you start a new Desktop return. You can Continue from Online or Import from last year's Online return. 

If you switch to the Desktop program you can just leave and abandon the online return.  Have you installed the Desktop program with the License Code yet?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies