turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sz3scg

How to reset password if old password is lost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

62 Replies
Jim5769

You probably can't right now, because the site is just sending people in loops. If you tell it you forgot your password and have it send you a verification code, you enter the code and then it asks you for your current password--which if you had you wouldn't have needed the verification code. One of the other things it is doing is just sending you an email with your User ID and a link to reset your password. In both cases, it then sends you to an Account Recovery Page with a form that is only for people who are changing email addresses, not for people trying to reset passwords. The form requires you to enter an old AND new email address, and they can't match.

rshirkjr

Every time I try to reset my password, it says I have to try to contact via the forums or try my password again. I clearly don't know my password, to the point where I've locked myself out. I am not sure how to reset my password...someone please help. Thank you! Blessings,

Why am I getting a password reset option every time I log in to TurboTax Online?

Some customers are experiencing a request to reset their password every time they attempt to log in to TurboTax Online.

Try this

In many cases this is occurring because an incorrect user id is being used to attempt to login. This is occurring because your browser remembers certain information and as you begin to type your user id it pre-fills the incorrect user id. Please try the steps below to determine if this is what is causing the password reset.

• Go to the Login screen on TurboTax.com and select the I forgot my User ID or password option to sign back into your account. Or use the other option to skip the password  ... choose option 3 D.

• Once you successfully reset your password and get logged into your account select My Account > Account Settings.
  • Once in account settings select Profile and verify your User ID

It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

ibigbody

How do I reset my user ID

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

To recover your user ID or password:

1. Go to the account recovery page.
  2. Enter one of the following:
    • Phone number (recommended)
    • Email address
    • User ID
  3. Follow the instructions. We'll customize them based on the info you provide and whether we recognize the device.

Once you're done, we'll either send you a code to help you recover your account, or show/send you a list of accounts associated with your info.

If you’re still unable to recover your account, select Try something else on the Account Recovery page. We'll ask additional questions to verify your identity.

Keep in mind: Once you're back in your account, we recommend you enter or update your phone number. This increases your account security and makes it easier to recovery your account.

(If you're looking to access a prior year return, go here.)   @ibigbody

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my cell phone is off i cant only verify by e-mail

@ Sikajoachim wrote:

my cell phone is off i cant only verify by e-mail

What are you trying to do???  Please explain that more.   Are you trying to log in to your online account?  If so, what is the roadblock?   Did you forget the password, or are you trying to respond to 2-step verification, or what?

We can tell you how to use the Account Recovery tool to gain access in a couple of different ways that doesn't require a cell phone.

Yep! Worst system ever. I need to get into my account! Been trying for an hour!

You have to sign onto your online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

ogod1234

•  

Please help me change my password 

20210411_162526.jpg

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

See How do I change my TurboTax login (user ID or password)? for instructions on changing your password. You need your old password to do this.

If you can't remember your old password, see How can I change my password if I don't know it? 

@ogod1234

I've done 4 returns on my old iMac, bought a new one, transferred all info, but now one of the returns asks for a password to open the file. I have written password and security question answer but nothing is accepted. I tried everything, changing "case sensitive" as a possible reason, but I always get Wrong Password !  I need to amend one of the returns, as the IRS sent a letter stating "Miss Calculation" on the recovery rebate credit. IRS changed the amount due.

I tried to call someone at Turbo Tax, left name & number but no one responds.

Can someone walk my through resetting a password to be able to open my file.

Daniel 

[phone number removed] 

@macuser_22 

Can you help with this?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies