turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gabec67

Will I be fined I accidentally file my federal taxes twice?

I filed my federal tax through credit karma but at the end, after submitting my federal return I noticed that they don't file state taxes. I got my return and tried to file my state taxes through Tubo Tax but it had me file both federal and state taxes. I only wanted to file my state taxes. Can I cancel the federal tax submission so that only my state taxes get filed. or am I going to get in trouble for accidentally filing my taxes twice. Can I call someone to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

No, you will not be fined.  In all likelihood, if the return you e-filed through the other service was accepted, the return you filed with TurboTax will be rejected. Wait until you learn whether or not your e-filed TurboTax return is rejected or accepted.  If the return is rejected, you can go ahead and prepare to file the state return, but it will need to be paper filed by mail since TurboTax is not designed to e-file the state return on its own.  

The following TurboTax return gives instructions for printing and filing your return by mail.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713

Hi  I filed twice  my tax and  I got  email  from  turbo  tax say accepted  and  the  other  one I file though  CPA  was  filed  too ,can  advice  me what  is  the  best  way  to fix it? Thank you for your help 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS will sort it out.  In all liklihood since the TurboTax return was accepted, the 2nd return will be rejected. If the second return is the correct version you may need to amend the accepted return.  Explain the issue to your CPA to help determine the need to file as an amendment.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had someone file my taxes and I filed on TurboTax because of an error on the first return. The TurboTax return is the correct one and it was

accepted. So will my TurboTax return go through and my first one rejected or how does this work

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The first one that is accepted by the IRS will go through unless there is an error that causes the return to be rejected. You said that the TurboTax return was accepted. The IRS is processing some returns today earlier than the initial February 12th date that was given. If your return TurboTax return was accepted by the IRS, the other one will be rejected because of a duplicate social security number.

Same thing happened to me.  Turbo Tax said it was only filing the STATE TAX but when I submitted both the Federal and State Tax were e-filed.  I didn't want to e-file the Federal because I had to get a ITIN renewal and I mailed in in through Snail Mail.  Way to go Turbo Tax.  You need to fix that.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax will give you to option to select what return you want to be e-filed. It's possible both were checked off, as Turbo Tax can't see or adjust anyone's return.

@gregtays

On the first time you submit yes.  I has already submitted and selected the mail option.  This was the State filing. and it was only for the STATE taxes which I selected to e-file.  It was NOT for the Federal but Turbo Tax filed both instead of just the Tax.  So, what are you talking about?  

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

To confirm, are you stating that you didn't select to e-file the Federal and only the state and the software e-filed both?

Did you confirm checking your e-filing status here?

@gregtays

[edited 3/21/22]

I already snail mailed the Federal.  State could not be filed yet because it needed a non resident form.  Turbo emailed me and said go ahead and file your STATE Tax.  So, i completed the STATE Tax, selected the e-file option...it did not prompt you as to whether you were filing the State or the Federal or both.  It just prompts you as to whether or not you want to e-file and since Turbo emailed me to complete and file the STATE Tax, and I completed the STATE Tax, I assumed it was just for the STATE Tax.  I had already mailed the Federal.  So no, Turbo Buddy, does not allow you to select, in my case, which Taxes you are wanting to e-file.

Now the problem may be, that the Federal will be rejected due to a expired Spouse ITIN number which I filed via snail mail with all the forms attached.  That is why I chose to file the Federal that way and not the e-file method.  

Arctic2
Returning Member

The same thing happened to me. I deselected the Federal return, but it filed it anyway. If my turbotax federal return is rejected, will it not process my state return?

@Arctic2 wrote:

The same thing happened to me. I deselected the Federal return, but it filed it anyway. If my turbotax federal return is rejected, will it not process my state return?

No.. State cannot be e-filed until the federal is filed and accepted.   That is so the IRS can run it's security checks for ID theft first that the state cannot do.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

To everyone.....

You can not efile state unless the federal was first efiled and accepted.  If you mail federal you have to mail state.

You can not efile state if you are mailing federal or before efiling federal.  See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-my-state-return-before-my-federal/00/2554...

Manage cookies