turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we e-file our tax return, does TurboTax transmit to the IRS more data than what the IRS would receive if the tax return had just been mailed to them by the taxpayer?

If we e-file our tax return, does TurboTax transmit to the IRS more data than what the IRS would receive if the paper tax return had been mailed to them by the taxpayer?  For example, when calculating our deductible medical expenses using TurboTax, we input details about our total medical expense, such as prescription medicine, travel mileage, insurance premium, etc.  If we e-file our tax return, does the IRS receive this detail?  Or do they get only the exact same data as shown on Schedule A (ie., total medical expense and the portion in excess of 7.5% of our AGI)?

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If we e-file our tax return, does TurboTax transmit to the IRS more data than what the IRS would receive if the tax return had just been mailed to them by the taxpayer?

No, the IRS only receives the appropriate Schedules and Forms for your tax situation - not the entire content of the data you have inputted into TurboTax.  So, in your example, TurboTax would fill out the Medical Worksheet, which would contain all the details about your total medical expenses.  But, this worksheet itself would not be sent to the IRS.  Only Schedule A showing the overall totals and the calculations would be sent to the IRS.

Since it shows that you are using the desktop software, you could switch to Forms Mode and bring up the Medical Worksheet.  At the top, you will see "Keep for your records" - this indicates its a form that you should retain for your records but that is not actually sent to the IRS.  

View solution in original post

13 Replies

No, the IRS only receives the appropriate Schedules and Forms for your tax situation - not the entire content of the data you have inputted into TurboTax.  So, in your example, TurboTax would fill out the Medical Worksheet, which would contain all the details about your total medical expenses.  But, this worksheet itself would not be sent to the IRS.  Only Schedule A showing the overall totals and the calculations would be sent to the IRS.

Since it shows that you are using the desktop software, you could switch to Forms Mode and bring up the Medical Worksheet.  At the top, you will see "Keep for your records" - this indicates its a form that you should retain for your records but that is not actually sent to the IRS.  

I filed and added my bank info to have my tax payment deducted from my bank account,  will the irs use that same information to send me stimulus check , because when I go on turbotax to print my return it shows no bank information,  just xxxx's

MRH2021

Through our experience and research in from a statement on the IRS get my payment site, if they withdrew money for taxes owed, that will not work in order to make a deposit. Their tool to find the status of your payment does not work if you paid taxes in 2018 or 2019, it only allows if you got a refund. Trying to find a solution to that

Badger53

I am trying to find out about my 2019 taxes that I had filed on TurboTax if you can message me and let me know I would really appreciate it thanks

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@Badger53 Can you please provide more information so that we may better assist you? Are you looking for a copy of your 2019 tax return? wanting to track a 2019 refund not received? or something else? In the interim, I am including 2 FAQ's below:

How to access a prior year tax return filed using Turbo Tax

Refund taking longer than 21 days?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My son’s college incorrectly completed his 1098-T Box 1 and will not change it (incompetent accountant). If I do his education credit and file manually, which does not require submitting 1098T numbers, the irs won’t see the incorrect amount and all will be fine (but manual filing takes forever).  

Turbotax, however, makes me enter his 1098-T numbers, which negates the credit. I’m afraid if I edit their number and turbotax submits this 1098T number (which isn’t required), an automated conflict will show up between what I entered and the form they received. 

My question: does turbotax only submit the required education credit form, or do they also submit the 1098T numbers that I enter?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Enter the 1098-T that was provided and use the link under Box 1 to enter the correct amount paid in 2021. 

The IRS also get a copy of the 1098-T from the school.

Be sure you have the paperwork to substantiate the correction. 

Keep everything with your tax file. 

Hi Kris,     I have a similar question, but with form 1099-R.   In community post:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/401k-rollover-to-roth-and-traditional-ira/00... the best workaround for a shortcoming with TurboTax not being able to split a distribution of a 401k rollover that contains both After Tax contributions and pretax gains to both a Roth IRA and a traditional IRA is

to split the single Form 1099-R for the distribution from the 401(k) into two, one for the portion rolled over to the Roth IRA and the other for the portion rolled over to the traditional IRA.    Would this create a red flag when turbo tax sends the info to the IRS?    Also, is there any plans for TurboTax to provide a fix to allow the split distribution?   Thanks!

BTW:  Here is a link to the IRS describing AfterTax contributions to multiple destinations:  https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/rollovers-of-after-tax-contributions-in-retirement-plans

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, splitting the 1099-R into two entries to make sure each is given the correct tax treatment will not raise a red flag with the IRS.

The IRS matches the 1099-R information to the totals reported. If your totals match, and appear on the right line, there is no red flag.

As far as whether this will be an added feature in the future, it is not going to be added this year. Whether it will be in future years, I am not sure. 

I have short term capital gains and I want to add expenses to amount paid. Where do I input all that, like new roof, siding, irrigation etc.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Capital improvements are added to the basis of the property.   When you sell the asset, your cost basis gets subtracted from the money you collect from the sale. Instead of paying tax on the full amount, you only get taxed on the profit (the selling price minus the cost basis).

Is the money I made from a home sale taxable?

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place, Investment Sales.   Choose your situation below for instructions. 

@sausecraig

jlhollandsr70
Returning Member

we submitted the return and got a accepted by IRS we have not heard from IRS we called Irs and they said they don't have a record. How can i delete that record and resubmit

@jlhollandsr70

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/ 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584108-why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-my-refund-w...

Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund.  Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds.  

Your federal refund amount is on line 35a of your Form 1040

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies