Where do I enter a capital gain or loss? - Community

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.428 helpful votes

Where do I enter a capital gain or loss?

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

  1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax if it isn't already open.
  2. Search for investment sales and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds or other investments?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.
  4. Following the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses result in a net gain or a net loss.

You can deduct a net loss of up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital loss you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns as a capital loss carryover.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Privacy Settings