turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

@PLNADLER   If you have to do this, it is obvious an apple issue.  Why would TurboTax not work on the same PC if it were a TurboTax issue?   The new Catalina has caused issues for a lot of software and Apple always says they do not handle issues with 3rd party software .. If this were a PC and you called Dell, they would have tried to fix the issue.  Unfortunately, Apple Tech Support can't help with anything but Apple even when their upgrades cause the issue. 

I am glad it worked for you, but having to create a new user is ridiculous.  Apple should try to figure out why it didn't work on your current user.

That is one of the solutions for this issue and I am glad it worked for you.  I need to find our from Apple why this works with a new user on the same MAC but not on the current MAC.  It is obviously a MAC issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lavonew  I am glad removing all traces of TurboTax with an uninstall worked for you.  What app did you use to remove all traces of TurboTax before reinstalling?

@Anonymous wrote:

@PLNADLER   If you have to do this, it is obvious an apple issue.  Why would TurboTax not work on the same PC if it were a TurboTax issue?   The new Catalina has caused issues for a lot of software and Apple always says they do not handle issues with 3rd party software .. If this were a PC and you called Dell, they would have tried to fix the issue.  Unfortunately, Apple Tech Support can't help with anything but Apple even when their upgrades cause the issue. 

I am glad it worked for you, but having to create a new user is ridiculous.  Apple should try to figure out why it didn't work on your current user.

That is one of the solutions for this issue and I am glad it worked for you.  I need to find our from Apple why this works with a new user on the same MAC but not on the current MAC.  It is obviously a MAC issue.

I agree.

A bit of history. 

When Apple released OSX 10.13.3 (High Serra) in 2018, suddenly TurboTax 2014 & 2015 crashed when opened.   They ran fine with 10.13.2.

The crash was due to a Apple change to a *Apple* java scrip interpreter function within the Apple OS.   When  it tried to read a java script in the TurboTax application structure that was complied using Apples developer package that called the function the Apple function crashed, not TurboTax.    Apple offered no support or help whatsoever to TurboTax or TurboTax users.   TurboTax developers eventually wrote a Unix shell script to remove that java script from TurboTax since it was not critical to be there. TurboTax could not issue an update to fix the problem because it is impossible to update if the application cannot run at all.

So much for Apple breaking things then then doing nothing about it - nothing new.

(I have been a Mac user for many years and have done Mac support and repair for a local school, but I have lost a lot of respect for Apple and Apple support for Apple caused problems.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am no expert, but I can point out that last year’s TT worked fine with OS 10.14 which has not been updated lately, and that most crashes this year occurred with users of OS 10.14. It is TT help desk that insists with people who signal a problem that they should upgrade to OS 10.15 (Catalina), and doing so does neither help nor creates new problems. So it looks to me that the culprit is likely to be a change in this year’s TT. In any case it would incumbent to TT to try to figure what the problems is and fix it or at least recommend a working work around.

Cedarcottage
Returning Member

What app did you use?  AppDelete? to remove the TT app from your Mac?

You're a Genius!   After a month of agony searching for an answer this at least enabled me to access Turbo Tax again and print/file my State taxes!!   Thank you very much!

@jeff_elbel This EXACT thing happened to me this week! Did you find a solution to the problem? 

Cedarcottage
Returning Member

Please tell me the app that you used to remove all traces of TurboTax.  Thanks.  

@Cedarcottage  (and others who asked the same question)

To completely remove TT,  I used AppCleaner I am sure there are others, also for free.

I used App Cleaner, as well. I opted for the "premium" version.  It wasn't particularly expensive.  The basic version is free.

this link no longer works.  this is a joke.  IT couldn't help, I spent hours, I see all of these other customers spent hours all trying to fix a problem that an enormous corporation could probably, definitely should , solve on their own for their customers.  But hey, why not keep all of your money that we give to you and not help us.  sounds like the american way right about now.

I have seen many posts about "crashes" but cannot duplicate the problem.  Up to now nobody has posted an actual crash report (using Applications -> Utilities -> Console -> User Reports ->  TurboTax crash log) in order to determine just what caused the crash and can be reported as a BUG.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You may have noticed from many of these reports that after users reopen TT after their first crash (usually connected with trying to file the state return) they are asked to file a crash report to TT.  If they make the fatal error of doing so, TT crashes again and from that moment on it can no longer be reopened. I cannot know and do not care if the error report is actually filed with TT or not. And I don't know if filling the error report after that kind of crash is the only occasion when TT stops working permanently or there are others. It is a scandal that TT has not yet solved the problem and for instance has not asked the question you are posing 3 months ago.

Just as a curiosity I checked if I had a report on my computer. My Console does not have a User Reports. However it has Crash Reports. But it keeps only the recent ones.

I had to same experience as George21.  If I ignored the error reporting box, everything would keep operating.  If I sent the error report, TT shutdown and would not reopen.  Then I had to start all over with deleting and reinstalling.  

WTF.  I just made the mistake mentioned here thinking I was doing TurboTax a favor and yep, program is inoperative.

3) DO NOT allow an error report to be transmitted to Turbotax. It will have a title of “It looks like we hit a snag”. You MUST close this message and NOT select “Send to TurboTax” Doing so will quit your program and render it inoperative. Then you’ll have to uninstall, run a program like CCleaner ( with tech help only unless you’re brave) and reinstall another TT 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies