Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

It is a Deluxe Turbotax 2019 desktop, running on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.14 (Mojave). It worked without problems for weeks, until it suddenly crashed. When I try to open the program it shows very  very briefly a banner "please wait while we verify everything is up to date" and then nothing happens. It does not matter  whether I open the program or I double click the file. Restarting does not help. I downloaded again the same program and reinstalled it (replacing the old one) and nothing changed.  I tested, Deluxe Turbotax 2018 desktop and it opens OK, but it cannot read my 2019 return.

I called the Turbotax help desk and the only thing else they suggested is to upgrade to Catalina which I would prefer to avoid (and Turbotax writes it is compatible even with much earlier OS versions!)

What can I do to make Turbotax work?

Can I at least save the content of my 2019 tax return or do I have to start from scratch?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is Turbotax going to fix this problem?????

View solution in original post

155 Replies

Based on my experience you are in an endless do-loop.  Surrender and go to another provider.  I spent 4 to 6 hours on the phone with TT help and deleted and reinstalled TT2019 over 6 times with the same outcome.  I believe that TT2019 is incompatible with the current Mac OS.  

same here. Turbo tax was crashing on close and I didn't notice. Upon opening it was displaying the dialog to send the report to turbotax. The report was empty. I sent it anyway and now the app is no longer opening. Even restarting my mac.

Looking at reviews for TT2019 I saw about a dozen reports of the same problem.  Turbotax has got to develop a patch or solution or face a lot of angry people and lost business.   I have two other sets of taxes to do and will go elsewhere. 

Spent approximately 1.5 hours with customer service. They say that their IT department is working on a fix for both windows and mac. Don't waste time uninstalling and re-doing your return until they get the bug(s) fixed. For me, The significant issue of the TT crashing happens after I pay for the State version and then attempt to efile. My return takes about 4-5 hours to input. I definitely have lost confidence in the TurboTax product.

My experience exactly,  just after I paid for an e-filing and initiated the filing I got a notice that an update was necessary before filing could be completed. I downloaded the update and the TT2019 froze up.  I deleted and downloaded TT at least six times and I could get back into the file once and still was unable to file.  I was able to print the fed and state returns and I mailed my federal yesterday.  

I really should pursue a refund. 

Between entering my information and working with the help desk, I probably have four to five work days into doing my taxes.   Thanks for wasting my time TurboTax!

My issue mirrors exactly what others have complained about here. Turbo Tax will not open, deleted and re-installed several times and absolutely no progress

Is Turbotax going to fix this problem?????

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@thazensr Please see the article below for assistance with this issue:

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the problem is not installing. Ready again the post...

After deleting and reinstalling TT a couple of time with no better results, I tried a more complete delete and it helped some. I used AppCleaner (I am sure there are other such apps) to get rid not only of TT but also the various files it had disseminated in the library etc.

After reinstalling, I could finally reopen the program and I managed to e-file the federal return. I could not e-file the state return and for that needed help from a TT help person. 

The technical support of TT is definitely substandard. They explicitly told me I did not need to delete the previous copy of TT, just install a new one. The best they can do is send you to links that do not relate to the issue.

This is exactly what happened to me!  After paying for state to efile....it crashed!  critical update window flashes for a half a second. I re-did state online and got 1 sent for free, but I am sure I lost the $19.99 I paid for the same return when it crashed.  I thought maybe it was my MAC and reloaded software, but nothing worked.  I have Mojave.  Turbo Tax needs to refund the purchase price of the CD's!   This is ridiculous!  I have used Turbo Tax for years, but for the 1st time, I am wondering if it is worth all this hassle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@7680  For assistance with this issue, please contact TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

CassLo

This post does not answer the question.  I never got that error message in at least 6 attempts to reinstall TT2019 Home and Business.  I spent at least 4 hours on the phone with TT help and then spent hours on my own repeatedly trying to reinstall.  At some point it is a waste of time to work with TT and I moved on.  Fortunately I printed out the return before trying to e-file and just mailed the return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies