turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

Same! I entered "0" and it was accepted. "0" is apparently what you need to enter if you filed a late return last year, since the IRS AGI database records your AGI as of the previous year's April 15th deadline. So if you hadn't filed by that day, then their database would have originally recorded "0," even if you later submitted a return. It would definitely be nice if TurboTax would mention this important little nugget on the Previous Year's AGI screen to warn customers that if they filed late or had extensions the previous year that their AGI according to the IRS might be 0. That would have saved a lot of time and stress!

Billyjoel

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

How do I fix this

@Billyjoel   Fix what?

If entering a 0 for your prior year AGI doesn't work, DO NOT MAIL in your tax forms if you expect a refund. I mailed mine 3 months ago and just called the IRS. Many IRS office have not opened their mailrooms yet, which has been closed for over 3 months. So, what they say on-line about them not having delays in processing your tax return because of COVID-19 is not true. With a 3-month backlog in paper tax forms it might take 4-6 months before you get your refund. I was told to call back in 30 days.

IRS phone number is [phone number removed]. I followed this phone tree

1- English

2- Call about refund

2 - Other questions

1 - Form Submitted by mail

3 - All others

2 - Other questions

5 - Detailed review

1 - joint

enter SSNO

Enter spouse SSNO ( I was slow in entering her SSNO and when I entered a 1, I was put in a queue to speak with someone.

I am very frustrated with TurboTax right now. I lost my job and am relying on this money. I was refused a refund because I was told that I paid to have TurboTax "Calculate" my taxes and that that they don't guarantee free online submission. The 5 free on-line submissions are the reason why I purchased TurboTax. They admitted this is their bug and not the IRS but that's only after my call was escalated. Everyone else from TurboTax said this was an IRS bug.

After I mailed my return, I found out that I could have entered my tax forms with several other on-line sites for free. The IRX also allows on-line free submissions if your gross income was under $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples).

TurboTax has refunded some people their cost so I don't know why they won't refund everybody. The bug they have affects people who are filing their return after the loss of their spouse in that tax year. If they would ave admitted this, I would NOT have purchased TurboTax this year but would have continued to purchase from them in future years since they are up-front about a bug they can't fix. Now I can't trust them since it's more important for them to collect a few bucks from a new widower and to make them wait to receive their refund. I know they are not responsible for COVID-19 but their policy proves they cannot be trusted. I would have been ok if their recommendation was to use someone else to file a return online. 

Be cautious with TT. I know I won't trust them any more after using them for over 15 years.

I saw on this tread that others have successfully submitted with the on-online version of TurboTax but I haven't used this. If you need the Deluxe to calculate things that Basic can't handle, I don't know if you can manually enter the forms. If not look for other free on-line tax options.

Bob527

If the IRS has not processed your previous return for any reason, or a delayed filing by you especially on paper, their AGI will be ZERO for you and your spouse for e-filing identity purposes. The China virus has brought the paper return processing to a near halt and the offices are not being staffed for the backlog according to their automated answering messages as of mid July 2020.

DuffyPaula
Returning Member

I think they are rejecting everyone.  I have been rejected numerous times even though I have checked and re-checked my return.  Putting 0 for AGI did not work for me.  I don't have a clue what is causing the problem.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud. 

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040; or
  • You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Psb
Returning Member

1) MY 2018 AGI matches (on my 2019 Return e-File) the number with the Tax Transcript for 2018. I had filed an Amended Return on Paper so I tried that too. It also is rejected. btw, I just entered the whole $ not x.00  for example 100 not 100.00 I will prefer to e-file.

2) Also used the same TT Premier to file return for my daughter and had to pay $24.99 for e-filing California State Return (accepted) and when I tried e-filing my return, it asked for another $24.99! Why?

@Psb 

Rejections come from the IRS--not TurboTax.  If the IRS keeps rejecting your e-file you have to print, sign and mail the return.  As for the $24.99 e-file fee you will have to talk to customer support to get them to adjust your billing.  We cannot resolve billing issues in the user forum.

When you use desktop software each time you e-file a state return there is a fee.  So the fee for your daughter's return was correct.  To avoid that state e-file fee you could print and mail state returns.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time  Monday-Friday

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3415597-what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-getting-an...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail.  Then you will know the IRS received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

In the Desktop program it is 24.95 to efile EACH state return including the first one.  Or you can print and mail state for free.  If your efile did not get accepted and you have to mail it you can ask for a refund.

Ilovecute

If this occurs and we have to Mail in return, can we get refunded the filing fee?

@Ilovecute wrote:

If this occurs and we have to Mail in return, can we get refunded the filing fee?

Using the TurboTax online editions there are no e-filing fees, federal or state.  The TurboTax account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

ElBrujo83

February 13th, 2021: AGI rejected federal and state, even with the TurboTax Software importing my AGI and the AGI being correct on last year's W2. 

Solution: Instead of putting your correct AGI number, add a 0, and your return will be accepted.

That doesn't always work. Last year I was told to file by paper but the office closed due to covid-19 and they had at least a 30-day backlog and I had already waited 12-weeks. TurboTax claims this is wasn't their bug and refused to refund any portion of the cost of their software because the Federal filings are free. 

You get 5 Federal filings but the rejection doesn't count as one. You can file you state by mail and attempt to e-file you Federal again. I called TurboTax to see what I could do. They finally admitted this was a bug on their end and fixed it. I was told to re-file and the paper copy would be rejected. I verified this by contacting the IRS and e-filed my federal after the bug was fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies