turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

Yes

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

The timing of a federal tax return refund and one from your state can vary. The state refunds are sometimes processed quicker than the IRS depending on the individual state timing. Typically it takes about 21 days to receive your refund from the IRS when you e-file and choose direct deposit as your refund choice. You can check your refund status here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you start counting the 21 days on the day you submitted? I actually submitted prior to 1/27 but I know they started processing them on 1/27. So for the 21 day time frame does that start in 1/27 or the day after 1/28. Just trying to figure out if the 21 days is 2/16 or 2/17

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It is typically 21 days from when the return was accepted.  However, if the return contained refundable additional child tax credits or the earned income tax credit, this 21-day date may not be accurate.

Refunds with these credits cannot be processed any sooner than "mid-February" (the exact date is not defined). 

You may be able to determine a more precise date for your refund by checking here: Where's My Refund?

@GrayFlannel

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Not at all. Some states do process their returns pretty quick. It is not uncommon for residence in my state in east coast for taxpayers to receive their state refunds much earlier than federal.

I filed on February 1st and got my state today but not federal yet if this helps

110885Km

I got my state taxes few days ago but not my federal and I have dependents does that matter? I thought federal always came first tho

110885Km

So even tho I already got my state my federal still won’t be available til the 27th?? 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

The IRS and your state process returns and refunds at different times. Some cases you will get your state refund before your federal refund, especially if you claimed the earned income tax credit or the additional child tax credit. The IRS will not start processing those returns and refunds until 2/15/2020

Suli87

I guess its happening to a lot of people i always got my Federal return at least few days before State, but today i just got my state refund and the status on the Federal its still the same- Accepted  

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you did not do anything wrong.  Sometime the processing times can vary with the IRS.  The fact you received your state refund first is no cause for concern.

Got state refund today! Federal says "Accepted" on TurboTax and "Processing" on IRS.gov. Seems like a lot of us are in that same boat.

My question is — has anyone gotten their federal yet? Sounds like there are delays across the board: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/18645/tax-return-will-be-delayed/

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Yes, many people have received their federal refunds.  Federal taxes and State taxes are handled by different entities, and one has nothing to do with the other.  Keep checking Where's my Refund, because the IRS is the authority on your Federal tax return and refund.

This is the process that your return is going through:

Pending: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4193097

Accepted (this is the last update that TurboTax will get from the IRS): https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3958820

Processing (the IRS does not inform TurboTax of this stage.  Keep checking Where's my Refund): https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4689484

Approved (TurboTax is also not informed of this stage):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved/00/265...

As you can see, since Where's my Return shows that your's is Processing, it is moving right along in the system. 

I’ve already received my state return this year , It only took one week since filing to receive state infact, but I did claim a dependent and hear federal is expected to be processing those credits later in this month. Usually only takes about two weeks later for federal refund to get approved and deposited. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax does not get any information about refund status. You must check the status yourself using the IRS refund tracking web site: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies