Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

@danhart1957 wrote:

I purchased Turbotax Deluxe that included one State e-file.  I had my tax returned incomplete at the time my daughter did her taxes. I NEVER used the one free state file. Now my daughter is being charged for using the state e-file. Does she have to pay?

Yes, if she wants to efile the state return.   This is a common misconception.    In the desktop software that has a state program, it is the state program that is included; i.e., the state software to prepare the state return.  Every state return that is efiled has a 24.99 state efile fee (except free for New York State.)  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

ADDENDUM:

Also see my next comment that I left you below about the additional service fee (39.99 or 44.99) if one chooses the option to pay the 24.99 out of the Federal refund.  That fee can be avoided by paying upfront with credit/debit card.

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

@danhart1957 

ADDENDUM:

In addition to my answer above, here's a tip.   Be aware that if she chooses to pay the 24.99 fee fee out of the Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers where it is bundled as "Premium Services.")  To avoid the service fee, she needs to pay the 24.99 upfront by credit/debit card.

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

Hello,

I have the Premier Desk Top version and just filed Federal, New York (which I downloaded free of charge and is where I live) and then bought VA because I had income earned and taxed in that state.  and when I e-filed, I was charged for the privilege by VA, but not by NY.

This seems decidedly unfair.  Is this practice widely undergone by all tax software programs or is it just unique to TurboTax ?

Makes me want to go back to the old-fashioned tried and true method of snail-mailing, never mind what they all say.  And on that point, safer in as much as if one mails the returns in, less chance, albeit no chance, of any potential compromise occurring. Takes longer, admittedly, but I'm in rush...

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions.

alec

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

Sorry yes, it is $25 (was 20 before March 1) to efile each state return from the Desktop program.  Except only New York is free.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

I have a question regarding my tax return fee. If this email is reaching an actual person please take the time out read them information on file. I have spoken to about 8 agents. if you look through the comments that they made about the situation you are looking through you will see that I need some help. Please HELP ME!!!!!
-Allison Pollard

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

@ampollard24  wrote:

I have a question regarding my tax return fee. If this email is reaching an actual person please take the time out read them information on file. I have spoken to about 8 agents. if you look through the comments that they made about the situation you are looking through you will see that I need some help. Please HELP ME!!!!!

Your message above is not an email.  Be aware you're posting on a public user community bulletin board.  In this forum we won't know anything about your situation, why your issue has required 8 agents, or have any way to help with any account-specific issue here.    I've flagged your comment for a Moderator to review who would have access to your Support experience.

If you want to ask your question about TurboTax product fees here, someone may be able to explain something here about how the fees work, but it won't be account-specific.   And since this is a public Internet forum, do not post any personal info here.

nancypet

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

I have a debit and credit card to use, but TurboTax would not let me. It wanted me to pay from my federal refund for a $40 fee. I didn't even have a federal refund! I ended up having to paper file my state return. Not sure I will use TurboTax next year and I have used it for at least 10 years.

Info411

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

You get 5 free Federal efiles and 1 free State efile with Turbotax Home and Business. Additional state efiles are $25. The "$40 Processing Fee" that is "automatically deducted from your refund is to pay the $25 for you! I cannot believe the deception of this charge. The $25 used to be deducted from your state refund but now, IF you choose that option, it will cost you $40 to get the $25 deducted. CONSUMER BEWARE! You'll be paying $65 for a $25 fee for state efile!!! YIKES!

Click on the "Charge My Credit Card", which is credit or debit, to pay the $25 to efile the state OR print it out and put a stamp on it!  

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

A couple things wrong in your post.  You do not get 1 free state efile.  You get 1 free state PROGRAM download.  Then it is $25 ($20 Early before March 1) to efile EACH state return including the first one.

And you could never have the state efile fee or any fees deducted from a state refund.  Only from a federal refund.

The Desktop fees have alway been clear on the screen.  You do have to pay attention and watch what you click on.

RTF Desktop.jpg

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

I was charged an outrageous fee for self employment services but I have not claimed any self employment. So this needs addressed can I get contact info to do this.

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

@bootstrap1   Did you use the Online web version?  Sounds like you used the Self Employed Version?   But didn't need it?  Did you already pay for it?  If you haven't paid yet or filed you can downgrade to a lower version.   Or call support.

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

As a 20+ year user I have never been charged these surprise fees!! This is a very cheap marketing trick bordering on unethical.

Jerry Nelson

STxRedBaron
Returning Member

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

Seems to me the extra charge might be the I.R.S.  not Turbo Tax.  I do concede turbo tax fees are a bit high to do a freaking electronic transfer of data. 

==STxB

ex247plt

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

Why is the program saying I need to pay $119 ...I bought the online version and paid $89 already. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

You can see what you are being charged for.  Please see this Turbo Tax help article for more information.

How do I review my fees in TurboTax Online?

@ex247plt

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies