Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ohio school district tax return was rejected with code oh-pit-068. When I reopen turbotax it doesn't show me what is wrong

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

61 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

My ohio school district tax return was rejected with code oh-pit-068. When I reopen turbotax it doesn't show me what is wrong

On one or more of your 1099R forms, you claimed state income tax withholding but did not provide the state abbreviation, the Payer's Federal EIN, the Payer's
state ID number and/or the distribution amount. Please correct and retransmit

Yes, that is what the email states.  However, a check of all the federal and state documents shows that I did in fact enter the state abbreviation,the Payer's Federal EIN, the Payer's
state ID number and/or the distribution amount.   The schedule of school district withholding is also populated correctly.  When I reopen turbotax it shows no errors and offers no help in directing me to the issue as it says it will in the original email telling me it was rejected.  

I have the same exact issue Northerner86--.  I followed the instructions to go to the File tab in TurboTax, and then "Check E-file status" and it does NOT provide details on what is causing the problem. 

Me as well any body have. solution of this error OH-PIT- 68

I called the Ohio tax office and learned they are seeing the school tax issue with those who used Turbotax to file.  I generally don't file this early and am assuming Turbotax generally has these issues ironed out by early April.  It would be helpful if turbotax would provide some support by way of answering our questions as opposed to allowing their users to try and debug their problems.  Its also worth noting that for those of you filing a 1099-r for the first time their "simple method" schedule does not allow you to calculate your taxable amount if you reach mra (minimum retirement age) during the tax year.  

thanks

for the information.  Hopeful they can get it fixed. Otherwise its back to pencil and paper

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Ok so this appears to be related to a duplicate condition. 

On one or more of your 1099R forms, you claimed state income tax withholding but did not provide the state abbreviation, the Payer's Federal EIN, the Payer's state ID number and/or the distribution amount. Please correct and retransmit.

Look at your entries on your 1099R and maybe even delete and reenter the form and resubmit. Let me know if this solves the issue.

@northerner86-- @MajMo24 @Rpohlman 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So the supposed issues with the 1099 R's do not affect the State of Ohio income tax but only the Ohio school tax.  How can this be? This sounds like a Turbo tax issue. But as usual there is no one to talk to about this. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is what Ohio has for that reject code - 

Did you have this reject? Did you follow the steps and receive another reject after resubmitting?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I have an answer for this.

In most cases, the Federal and Ohio returns have been accepted. What is being rejected is the School District Return if you had withholdings. If you had School District Withholdings, the School District Return can't be efiled. 

If your Ohio return was accepted and the only reject you have is the School District Return, you will need to print and mail the School District Return. 

@MajMo24

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I have an answer for this.

In most cases, the Federal and Ohio returns have been accepted. What is being rejected is the School District Return if you had withholdings. If you had School District Withholdings, the School District Return can't be efiled. 

If your Ohio return was accepted and the only reject you have is the School District Return, you will need to print and mail the School District Return. 

@Cliff2040 

There's nothing to fix in TurboTax.  Everything is completed correctly.  I confirmed on all the forms.   The problem is in how TurboTax is populating the information being sent to the school district and a loop in the error fixing since all forms are correctly filled out, it doesn't see a problem.  When I click on the button "Help Me Fix It" (1st picture below) and it just takes me to a page that says I'm getting a refund from Ohio (2nd picture below).  When I click on the "Continue" button it takes right back to the page saying the school tax was rejected and gives me the "Help Me Fix It" button (1st picture below).  But it just continues in a loop.

TurboTax Fix It Button Error_2024-02-16.pngTurboTax Wrong screen_message_2024-02-16.png

I did not pay any school tax last year, therefore I owe.  So the withholding doesn't apply in my situation.  Instead it looks more like an error on the way TurboTax is filling out the form to send to for Ohio school taxes.  Do we really need to print and mail the school tax form?  Or will TurboTax be fixing this bug so that we can resubmit?

So, it sounds like the Ohio return went through but the school district tax was rejected.  The suggestion is that you complete the SD100 in paper and send it in.  Wonder if the paper sd100 will catch up with the Turbo Tax upload that apparently went through ok.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies