Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

We only got 1/2 of our stimulus check, we are well under the threshold, we've already completed our 2020 taxes, added our baby who was born in 2020, have no outstanding debt, and the calculator says we should get $4200.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

I had previously posted this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-husband-and-i-only-received-1-2-of-our-stim...

An update from the IRS.. 

I spoke with someone this morning at the IRS who stated that in circumstances like these, one spouse will get direct deposit and the other will receive a paper check. The second half of the payment MAY be direct deposited later, hopefully, but if not you will receive a paper check in the next 2-3 weeks. They cannot explain why. 

The get my payment option shows that the funds are being deposited into my bank account but the bank only received one payment under my name. The other check should be in my spouses name. 

I will share this on the original post, also. 

View solution in original post

137 Replies

Did you indicate that the baby had lived with you all of 2020 (which is okay for newborns)?

Yes we did--but even if we didn't include our dependent, we still did not get $1400 each. We got $2100 total combined, which is $1050 each.

This same thing is happening to my husband and I. We are supposed to receive 4200 and only are receiving 2100. We have 1 dependent who is under 3 and are well under the income threshold as well. Trying to decide who to contact. Turbo or IRS? Either way I'm sure it is going to be a headache. Our last 2 checks were fine.

Our last two checks were fine, too! 

I contacted the IRS and they kind of shrugged and said they didn't know why this had happened. I wasn't sure if contacting turbotax would help. I can give it a shot though! 

I attempted to call Turbo tax and was unable to get through to a real person. I'm going to attempt again. Let me know if you get through, so frustrating!

I am in the exact same situation. Mines suppose to go in tomorrow but there’s no reason for it to be half of what we should be getting. I’ll update if I get any answers 

@rae-e-arnold   Are you asking about the 3rd Stimulus check that is just coming out now?  Did you get it already?  Or on your 2020 tax return?  Your tax return only reconciles the first and second stimulus checks.  What did you already get for those last April and December?  You should get $1,100 (500+600) for the new baby on your 1040 tax return line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

This is exactly happened to us. We already filed and received our 2020 taxes. Had a baby in early 2020. No debt owe and made less in 2020 than 2019. Thank you for posting this. Hope we can all share our solution.

Yes, asking about 3rd stimulus check. We did get it already and it is incorrect, directly deposited into our bank account. 

We have already submitted our 2020 taxes and didn't know if we did something to mess up the 3rd stimulus check. However, Turbo Tax confirmed today that we did everything accurate and we should have received $4200. 

Thank you for the update I am exactly in the same boat I wonder if they’re going to fix it or just have to wait till we file our taxes next year.

I hope they fix it. I can't very well 'stimulate' the economy when I have no money to use. 

I couldn’t agree more! I was planning on doing some home renovations with the funds.

Us too!

Did we just be come bff because IRS messed up?  Someone entered .5 in Box JK instead of 1. LOL 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies